Pictorial representations Lincoln’s deathbed
08-31-2014, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2014 04:37 PM by loetar44.)
RE: Pictorial representations Lincoln’s deathbed
Today I did some work to decipher the key of the Albert Berghaus print, published in the April 29th, 1865 issue of Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper. I was curious who were in the room at the moment AL died, because William T. Clark wrote in a letter to his sister Ida, 4 days after Lincoln’s assassination: “I was engaged nearly all Sunday with one of Frank Leslie’s special artists, aiding him in making a complete drawing of the last moments of Mr. Lincoln, as I know the position of everyone present.” Clark returned April 15 to Petersen’s House, so it is quite possible that he knew who were exactly in the room at Lincoln’s passing. However the key was completely unreadable for my “old eyes”. I used some rendering programs, some IT tricks, and tried to sharpen the picture (I found a 1.5 Mb TIFF at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/cph.3a09598/ , but no higher resolution, urchh). Lots of thanks to Dave's highly informative article at http://boothiebarn.com/2012/09/23/at-lincolns-deathbed/ (thanks Dave! Great work). I think I have the names, but I’m not 100% sure. So please correct me if I'm wrong.

(1) Julius Ulke; (2) Henry Ulke; (3) Gideon Welles; (4) John F. Farnworth; (5) Petersen Jr. (6) Salmon P. Chase; (7) Dr. Robert K. Stone; (8) Schuyler Colfax; (9) William Dennison; (10) Thomas Proctor; (11) William Petersen; (12) Charles Sumner; (13) Robert Todd Lincoln; (14) Dr. Joseph K. Barnes; (15) Dr. Robert K. Stone; (16) Christopher C. Augur; (17) Dr. Charles H. Crane; (18) Henry W. Halleck; (19) Henry Safford; (20) Edwin M. Stanton.

After discussion with Eva, I've made the following changes (see post #27).

(15) NOT Dr. Robert K. Stone BUT Rufus F. Andrews
(16) NOT Gen. Christopher C. Augur BUT Gen. George G. Meade
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pictorial representations Lincoln’s deathbed - Hess1865 - 08-29-2014, 09:46 PM
RE: Pictorial representations Lincoln’s deathbed - loetar44 - 08-31-2014 04:22 PM