Pictorial representations Lincoln’s deathbed
08-31-2014, 11:27 AM
RE: Pictorial representations Lincoln’s deathbed
(08-31-2014 11:09 AM)L Verge Wrote:  This is just my opinion, but I think that all those "noble" men who surrounded Lincoln's deathbed, waiting for him to draw his last breath, should have been kind enough to clear the room at some point - perhaps just after the moment of death - and allowed Mary, Tad, and Robert a few minutes of privacy with the man who was the rock of their world. Somehow, I think Mary would have conducted herself appropriately in front of Tad; but if not, both children were certainly used to their mother's hysterics -- and she had good reason for them at that moment!
I absolutely agree on this. Instead of his family (despite Robert), people were admitted some of whom were sure no close friends but rather "event seekers". That's why I wondered who of these persons A. L. would (not) have liked to be in that room. And as Kees said, Tad should at least have been given the choice to say good-bye.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pictorial representations Lincoln’s deathbed - Hess1865 - 08-29-2014, 09:46 PM
RE: Pictorial representations Lincoln’s deathbed - Eva Elisabeth - 08-31-2014 11:27 AM