Pictorial representations Lincoln’s deathbed
08-29-2014, 07:13 PM
RE: Pictorial representations Lincoln’s deathbed
(08-29-2014 05:04 AM)loetar44 Wrote:  Roger wrote: "There is a key to the Littlefield engraving here, but it's hard for me to read all the names even when enlarged. For now I'll go with Oglesby as a guess."

Roger, yes indeed, even enlarged it's hardly to read. Here is the key for the other 24

(1) Andrew Johnson; (2) Gideon Welles; (3) Leonard J. Farwell ; (4) Hugh McCulloch; (5) ???; (6) John Franklin Farnsworth; (7) William Tod Otto; (8) Schuyler Colfax; (9 ) William Dennison; (10) Dr. Charles A. Leale; (11) John Hay; (12) Robert Todd Lincoln ; (13) Charles S. Taft; (14) Charles Sumner ; (15) James Speed; (16) Charles H. Crane; (17) John P. Usher ; (18) Henry W. Halleck; (19) Christopher C. Augur; (20) Montgomery C. Meigs; (21) Edwin M. Stanton; (22) Phineas D. Gurley; (23) Joseph K. Barnes; (24) Mary Todd Lincoln; (25) Robert K. Stone

(08-29-2014 04:56 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  For anyone unfamiliar with Alonzo Chappel's painting that Kees mentioned here it is:

[Image: deathoflincoln.jpg]

I will post a key for the Chappel painting later today.

(08-28-2014 09:03 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Just a note about the term "Rubber Room:" So far as I know, it was first coined about 15 years ago by a history student in one of Dr. Terry Alford's classes as the title for her paper on who was present during the death scene. For the life of me, I cannot remember the young lady's name. However, it was later picked up by Harold Holzer and Frank Williams, and they were kind enough to give her credit for its "creation."

In Harold Holzer and Frank J. Williams' article "Lincoln's Rubber Room" (published in American History, August 1998, page 40) they say (p. 42): "Most printers proved unaware of or unwilling to accept the modest size of the death chamber itself, giving rise in popular art to what assassination expert Lesley A. Leonard has aptly called the "rubber room" phenomenon.

I don't remember that name, and the young student would not be classified as an "expert" at that point. Perhaps I am wrong, and the student picked up the name from whoever Lesley A. Leonard is/was.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pictorial representations Lincoln’s deathbed - L Verge - 08-29-2014 07:13 PM
RE: Pictorial representations Lincoln’s deathbed - Hess1865 - 08-29-2014, 09:46 PM