George Atzerodt's Little girl Edith
07-23-2014, 11:32 PM
RE: George Atzerodt's Little girl Edith
In one od Dave Taylor's posts, he expressed some confusion in the Boswell/Adams/Wheeler Tree. I have put a tree together, via Logic. My assumptions are noted, the facts came from Nicholas Crangle's Statement to the Provost Marshal.
"Father Boswell" m "Mother Boswell." (names not known). They had William and Elizabeth Boswell (brother and sister). Elizabeth married 1. Charles H. Wheeler. They had five girls (Mary, June, Nancy, etc.)
Wheeler died 1853. Elizabeth m 2, Henry O. Rose, no children, He dies. Elizabeth took up with Atzerodt, they had Edith.
OK here comes Adams. I think "Father Boswell" died somewhere about 1840, and "Mother Boswell" married "Mr. Adams." They had Margaret and James Adams. Half Brother and Half sister to William and Elizabeth. I don't know if Elizabeth Boswell assumed the Adams name as her last name, or adopted it as her middle name. She used both cases at one time or another, sometimes in combination with Wheeler.
(When Crangle mentions Mrs. Wheeler, in his statement, he isn't sure exactly what her relationship is - to his wife Margaret Adams.)

I searched Nicholas B. Crangle after the war, to see if he stayed with Elizabeth for any length of time, - to see if he adopted Edith. No record of such. He did marry a Nannie Crangle and lived in D.C. until he died about 1878, (Nannie s shown as WID. of Nicholas.) To close her out - she married a George Lucas. That was lucky for me, because she is referred to as Nancy Newton, and Naomie Newton. Nancy Newton was b MD 1849. Her Mother was E. B. Newton.

My request for a Death Certificate for Edith Crangle, to NYC ,bounced, because I did not provide the correct numbers on a credit card. That has been corrected, now we wait some more.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: George Atzerodt's Little girl Edith - SSlater - 07-23-2014 11:32 PM