One Of Those Days
06-26-2014, 04:19 PM
One Of Those Days
I have a friend who always is saying, "It's been one of those days/weeks/years." Usually, however, it means it has been hectic, disappointing, the pits, etc. Today has been one of those postive days for me!

In the course of twenty minutes, I had a visitor in my office who showed me Col. John S. Mosby's "housewife" (soldier's sewing kit) which was made for him by Mrs. Robert E. Lee. It is fashioned like Lee's regimental flag with the face in needlepoint and signed on the inside by Mosby. The gentleman also showed me what is likely the only known dag of Col. Mosby as a teenager. Comparing it to a known photo of Mosby in the possession of the Virginia Historical Society, it leaves very little doubt that it is the Colonel about two years earlier (about 14).

No sooner had my heart palpitations stopped than a Surratt Society member from California came in to show me her latest purchase (on eBay). She had not brought the real things with her because of her fear of something happening on the flight or at the airport, but the next best thing was viewing the items on her SmartPhone.

She clicks on her phone, and I am looking at Edwina Booth Grossman's locket with the photo of her father, Edwin Booth, and a lock of his hair. In addition, she also acquired a stickpin with a painting of Edwin on the oval. I tried not to drool too much... I did, however, encourage her to join this forum and post the photo.

Tom Bogar - she loves your book and is now preparing to read My Thoughts Be Bloody. She teaches theater out West, and her husband is a history teacher. Don't ask their thoughts on the state of education today... Standardized tests seem to be the bane of all teachers' existences no matter where one goes.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
One Of Those Days - L Verge - 06-26-2014 04:19 PM
RE: One Of Those Days - Tom Bogar - 06-26-2014, 08:45 PM
RE: One Of Those Days - Roberta - 11-10-2016, 01:57 PM
RE: One Of Those Days - Thomas Kearney - 11-10-2016, 06:46 PM
RE: One Of Those Days - Carolyn Mitchell - 11-13-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: One Of Those Days - RJNorton - 11-10-2016, 02:18 PM
RE: One Of Those Days - L Verge - 11-10-2016, 04:07 PM
RE: One Of Those Days - Susan Higginbotham - 11-11-2016, 12:34 AM