St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
04-23-2014, 01:34 PM
RE: St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
This is an excellent point, and one that I never remember mention of before. I also never remember seeing an exact stage route mentioned - just that it ran from D.C. to Leonardtown and back on alternating days, except Sunday. We know there were stops at Surrattsville and T.B., and my gut reaction is to keep going straight towards Horsehead. I say this because Booth supposedly spent at least one night at the tavern there. Many years ago, there was said to be a ledger with his name in it, but like so many things, it has disappeared. Did he arrive there by horse or by stagecoach that time?

According to the old-timers, my grandmother (b. 1874), the main road was the one that ran to Horsehead and on. The one that was the forerunner of Rt. 5/301 was a newer road. That road is the one that led to the Huntt family plantation at Mattawoman, but not exactly the way the modern road does.

Let me do some checking to see if there is a listing of stage stops or a map. I remember doing an article on the mails at Surrattsville about thirty years ago. I just have to find it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer? - L Verge - 04-23-2014 01:34 PM