Dave Taylor / Davey Herold Question
02-14-2014, 04:55 PM
RE: Dave Taylor / Davey Herold Question
Robinson told Gus Seward when Gus went to visit him at Douglass Hospital that a man who fit the description of Powell had visited the Seward home on the mornings of April 13 and April 14. Gus wrote a letter to Col. Wells dated April 21 relating what Robinson had told him. When Robinson first saw the man at Seward's door at the time he made the attack, "I thought I recognized him to be the same person, he having on at this time a brown hat." The Evidence, Edwards and Steers.

Robinson also related this incident in an interview he gave to the Evening Star which was published on April 18.

I checked Poore's transcription of the trial of the conspirators and Robinson did not testify about Powell at the window.

Also, there is some misunderstanding about what Seward was wearing on his jaw at the time of Powell's attack. He was wearing a splint made of wire and mesh. The metal splint wasn't made for him until a few weeks after Powell's attack. The wire and mesh splint may have distracted Powell but it was George Robinson who saved Seward's life.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread