Abraham Lincoln in New Bedford, Massachusetts
12-20-2013, 08:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2013, 08:49 AM by Rob Wick.)
#12
RE: Abraham Lincoln in New Bedford, Massachusetts
(12-20-2013, 05:56 AM)RJNorton Wrote: Thanks, Eva, but full credit goes to William E. Barton for this one. I was looking at the letters Lincoln wrote on this topic in Barton's The Lineage of Lincoln when you asked the question. The answer was right there in front of me.

Barton seems annoyed with anyone who had implied Lincoln had no interest in the topic. He writes, "These letters completely refute the statement that Abraham Lincoln had no interest in his own ancestry, and gave himself no concern to know the facts regarding it."

Roger,
One of the most interesting aspects of Tarbell's life was her constant battle with Barton over Lincoln's ancestry, especially the illigetimacy of Nancy Hanks. Their letters to each other were pointed, but polite.

Best
Rob
Abraham Lincoln is the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Abraham Lincoln in New Bedford, Massachusetts - by Rob Wick - 12-20-2013, 08:48 AM

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)