Throwing more Mudd in the game
09-25-2013, 08:58 AM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game
(09-23-2013 01:41 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I am trusting George Atzerodt's word with this post.

Atzerodt said, "I am certain Dr. Mudd knew all about it, as Booth sent (as he told me) liquors & provisions for the trip with the President to Richmond, about two weeks before the murder to Dr. Mudd's."

I am assuming this to mean a stop was planned at Mudd's after Lincoln was kidnapped.

If they had seemingly planned to stop at Mudd's after kidnapping Lincoln why wouldn't they also intend to stop there after killing him?

Do we know if Booth and Herold left Mudd's with any "extra stuff" they didn't have when they arrived?

P.S. Laurie, Bob Summers is away from his computer, but on his website there is an interview with Sarah Frances Mudd in which she says:

"There was no one in our home that night except the Doctor, myself, the children and the children’s nurse, a white girl named Nancy Tilly. The children and the nurse were not awakened by the arrival of these visitors."

http://www.samuelmudd.com/2111909-mrs-mu...rview.html

Roger: I have always had a problem with Atzerodt's statement, which was a summary of a two hour grilling. The parenthetical "(as he told me)" appears to be McPhail's way of emphasizing that Atzerodt's liquor and provisions statement was not first-hand information.

It has never made sense to me that Booth would have sent provisions for a trip to Richmond two weeks before the assassination. Booth read the Washington papers. He knew that Richmond was surrounded and about to fall, which happened on April 3rd.

You asked if Booth and Herold left Dr. Mudd's with any "extra stuff." I think you refer to the "liquor and provisions." If liquor and provisions were sent to Dr. Mudd, he clearly didn't give them to Booth, since shortly after Booth left Dr. Mudd's he asked Swan for liquor and food.

General Ewing brought Atzerodt's statement to President Johnson's attention in his post-trial appeal letter, as evidence of Dr. Mudd's innocence. I have elaborated on all this at:

http://www.samuelmudd.com/511865-atzerod...ement.html

Regarding Nancy Tilly, the nanny or nurse for the Mudd children, I remember trying to find out more about her several years ago when I first read Mrs. Mudd's interview, but there is no Nancy Tilly in Maryland in any of the census or other historical records I looked at. Mrs. Mudd's interview was in 1909, almost a half century after the assassination, so her accurate memory of the young woman's name may have been faulty.

- Bob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Throwing more Mudd in the game - L Verge - 09-23-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - bob_summers - 09-25-2013 08:58 AM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - Rhatkinson - 09-24-2013, 04:16 PM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - Rhatkinson - 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM