One more post, on one broken leg.
09-23-2013, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2013 01:50 PM by Anita.)
RE: One more post, on one broken leg.
(09-22-2013 10:04 PM)JMadonna Wrote:  I believe Ford had the hole drilled for the guard well before the night of the assassination.

I've also read this. Ford's son Frank in his letter, said his father drilled the hole so the President's guard could see Lincoln without disturbing him.

What I find strange is Lincoln went to Ford's theater nine times prior to April 14. He was there on Dec. 19, 1864. None of the guards who accompanied him at those times verified there was a hole was there to monitor the President.

So why was the hole only put there for this performance? Was it Ford's idea or could it have been suggested to Ford by an employee and Ford drilled it himself, or he gave the okay thinking it a good idea? That way the hole could be drilled without without causing suspicion?

(09-23-2013 05:13 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(09-22-2013 04:13 PM)L Verge Wrote:  There is a theory that O'Laughlen was seen at Stanton's house.

I think the prosecution tried to show O'Laughlen was after Grant, but the incident actually happened at Stanton's house. On the night of April 13 the Stantons were having a reception, and Grant was present. Twice during the reception a "mysterious man" alleged to be O'Laughlen showed up at the door and was denied entrance both times. One time he said he wanted to see Stanton and the other time to see Grant. I don't think the prosecution's effort to show the mystery man was O'Laughlen worked. Also, Grant may not even have still been there when the mystery man arrived. He left the reception early and departed for the White House to see the Grand Illumination with Mary Lincoln.

Anita, I have never read that O'Laughlen was on the train with the Grants. Do you possibly recall where you saw that? I would like to check that out. Many thanks.

Roger, I saw it in J.F. Downs book "A Country Divided" pub.2013
http://tinyurl.com/pf3ulsu

Then I read that at his trial "Cox also argued that the evidence showed persuasively that O'Laughlen did nothing to further the assassination on the night of the fourteenth, which he spent drinking at Lichau House before departing for Baltimore the next day."

Where did the train story originate?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: One more post, on one broken leg. - Hess1865 - 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM
RE: One more post, on one broken leg. - Anita - 09-23-2013 01:41 PM