One more post, on one broken leg.
09-22-2013, 04:13 PM
RE: One more post, on one broken leg.
IF the flags are displayed today in the same fashion as that night, the Treasury Guard flag was on the same (or slightly higher) level as the two U.S. flags on each end. The engraving of Washington is hung so that the bottom of the frame appears to be supported by the molding that trims the wall that abuts the floorboards inside the box. The Treasury Guard flag is positioned above it at a height where the fringe of the flag is right at the top of the frame. That flag would be hanging so that it would not be readily evident what kind of flag it was - a state one or a governmental one. I seriously doubt that James Ferguson would have known one state flag from another.

I remember reading that Mrs. Lincoln was holding her husband upright in the chair when Dr. Leale arrived, and it would certainly seem that it would be instinctive for a wife and mother to do that. I still hold my right arm out to protect my daughter (age 40) or my grandson (age 13), both of whom are in seatbelts in the front passenger seat when I have to slam on brakes...

When you look at how close Mrs. Lincoln's chair was to her husband's rocker, however, and take into consideration the breadth of her hoops and Clara's in that confined space, it is a wonder that Booth didn't get tangled up in their skirts and get taken down by Rathbone! I'm still trying to figure out which railing Booth went over - the one for Box 7 or the one for Box 8.

There is still a debate as to who drilled the "spy" hole. I think most historians believe Booth did it earlier in the day. I don't think he really cared who else was in the box once he learned Grant had left town. I also believe that, at that point, he was in such a fever pitch that a suma wrestler would not have deterred him from his mission.

As for who was thought to be on Grant's train, it was rumored at first to be Surratt, but no one ever panned out. There is a theory that O'Laughlen was seen at Stanton's house.

I have never seen a description of the re-enactment of the play done for the trial. Does one exist?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: One more post, on one broken leg. - Hess1865 - 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM
RE: One more post, on one broken leg. - L Verge - 09-22-2013 04:13 PM