One more post, on one broken leg.
09-21-2013, 03:14 PM
RE: One more post, on one broken leg.
I swore I was tying a knot on my end of this thread, but I have to chime in once again. On his excellent BoothieBarn blog, Dave Taylor recently posted a letter that actor Harry Hawk wrote to his parents describing what happened that night. One sentence caught my eye because I never remember seeing it before:

"...when I heard the shot fired. I turned, looked up at the President’s box, heard the man exclaim, 'Sic semper tyrannis,' saw him jump from the box, seize the flag on the staff and drop to the stage..."

I never remember reading the phrase "...seize the flag on the staff..." I posted a question about this on Dave's site, but so far, no one has responded. To me, this throws a new wrinkle in the game -- one more element between going over the railing and landing on the stage. Enough to throw him off balance and snap that small bone?

I certainly don't want to keep haranguing over this broken leg deal, but I just wondered if anyone else had ever read this flag staff comment - before Dave posted it. I can't remember if it is in Tim Good's book or not.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: One more post, on one broken leg. - Hess1865 - 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM
RE: One more post, on one broken leg. - L Verge - 09-21-2013 03:14 PM