If the CW ended differently...
09-05-2013, 09:55 AM
RE: If the CW ended differently...
Newt Gingrich has a book " Gettysburg " in which he rewrites the battle, claiming that if the South had won a Southern victory would be inevitable.

I agree with Laurie that the South had no vision to conquer the North. They simply wanted their independence. Sadly slavery would have continued, but in my own belief wouldn't have lasted ( at least in the aggricultural areas). Slavery was on a decline before the advent of the cotton gin and I believe after the war, slavery would have seen a rapid decline about twenty years later with the invention of the tractor. I cannot say how slavery would have been in mining communities. Since I would imagine that the South would have tried to expand.

I believe that because World War I and II started in Europe they still would have existed.

I believe there may not have been much change in the outcome of World War II. The North would most likely have still become an industrial giant. Their factories could have still built the war machines. The South throughout history has always sent more men to war. This could have continued. In fact if one Government in North America had gone to war I believe the other would follow suit. North America could have also gotten into the war sooner than Roosevelt had, thus ending it sooner with the potential of less loss of life. The power structure of the world would definitely be much different.

That is of course, as long as both North American governments sided with the Allies.

I also agree with Gene when he wrote :It is possible that had the south won the civil war, that further division would have resulted as the country grew.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
If the CW ended differently... - spteach - 09-04-2013, 05:12 PM
RE: If the CW ended differently... - Jenny - 09-04-2013, 09:19 PM
RE: If the CW ended differently... - Hess1865 - 09-05-2013, 09:24 AM
RE: If the CW ended differently... - brtmchl - 09-05-2013 09:55 AM