If the CW ended differently...
09-04-2013, 07:38 PM
RE: If the CW ended differently...
This is just my personal opinion, but I believe the South had no intentions of conquering the North and taking over the entire country. I believe that they were fighting to create their own country and be recognized as independent of the U.S. by other foreign countries.

I further believe that they did hope to extend their agricultural economy into regions south of the border, but would have also realized that pockets of industrial growth would be necessary also. Quite a few of the Confederate leaders had cut their teeth serving in the U.S. Congress prior to the war and would have a good feel for what railroads and industries could do. If/as their new country developed industrial strength, I believe that slavery would have come to a natural end as machines became the work horses.

I would also hope that the pitfalls that came with Reconstruction would have been avoided without meddling "alien" politicians and money-grabbing carpetbaggers entering the picture. Leave people alone to work out their own problems, and they usually do. (And before some of you jump on that sentence, I am not espousing anarchy. I am, however, suggesting that big government needs to back out of regional problems whenever possible.)

OK - I have painted the target on my chest. Have at it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
If the CW ended differently... - spteach - 09-04-2013, 05:12 PM
RE: If the CW ended differently... - L Verge - 09-04-2013 07:38 PM
RE: If the CW ended differently... - Jenny - 09-04-2013, 09:19 PM
RE: If the CW ended differently... - Hess1865 - 09-05-2013, 09:24 AM