Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war?
07-30-2013, 11:00 AM
RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war?
If this is what's on google, then once again I have been misquoted or connected to someone else's bad history. First, Hamilton is a very old name in Charles County, so maybe we can trace from there. Fendall is also an old name.

I am very familiar with Marshall Hall. The Marshall family dated to the 1700s in the area, and I remember having picnics on the grounds of the ruins of the old house. From the late-1800s to about 1970 there was a nice amusement park on the grounds - wooden roller coaster, all types of rides to get sick on, and the Wilson Line out of D.C. did daily and nightly cruises down the Potomac to drop people off at both Mount Vernon and Marshall Hall. I was on that boat and its "Moonlight Cruises" quite a few times. It was really a hopping place (as was most of Charles County) when slot machines were legal. I do agree, however, that the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association had a right to want a better view across the river - and the National Colonial Farm certainly gives them that.

As for the Bryan home, there are nothing but foundation ruins there now. However, it is about a mile back in the woods off of Piscataway Road and actually closer to Dr. Wyvill's old Burton Hall that we discussed earlier. The descendants of the Bryans would be very disturbed (and one is quite high up in state politics) to hear that the matriarch moved out of Bryan Hall and into such a plebian establishment as Surratt House! I don't know where that came from, but I will certainly check. Susannah Bryan did purchase some things from Mr. Surratt, but one of her sons remained at Bryan Hall to take care of her and the land.

Pliny owned the land that is now the Colonial Farm, and it straddles Prince George's and Charles Counties and is very near Piscataway Creek and also Ft. Washington. I know nothing about the ruins on the grounds of the College of Southern Maryland (no longer a community college) near LaPlata. The ruins of Bryan Hall off of Piscataway Road in Clinton (Surrattsville) are on undeveloped land owned by the Prince George's Community College. They have hoped for forty years to build a second campus on the property, but it hasn't happened yet. I think we're trying to mix apples and oranges here and coming up with goop.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - L Verge - 07-30-2013 11:00 AM