Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war?
07-24-2013, 08:53 PM
RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war?
Hello Members,
I am sorry that I was not able to respond sooner to some of your questions. I am not a Lineal descendant of Charles H. Cawood but rather a Collateral way back in the family linage. I first became interested in Cawood and his Civil War activities while doing family genealogy. There was a Cawood Heritage newsletter printed by Col. James Cawood Presgraves that included lacking information on Charles H. Cawood. A Mr. William Tidwell wrote hoping that someone in the family could shed some light on Charles H. Cawoods’ life after the Civil War. Years later I noticed several books have been published on the subject.

I regret to write that I have never found the gravesite of Charles H. Cawood. I have his mother and father and brothers and sisters but little else about his life after the Civil War.
I recently did however find his place of employment for a time:

Paper:Alexandria Gazette
Date: September 11, 1866

We are indebted to Lieut. Charles Cawood, of the National Express Company, for copies of the Richmond and Lynchburg papers in advance of the mail.

I do not know what the National Express Company was but hope some of you may know.

As far as his son is concerned after diligent searching I fear he must have died at a young age. Mr. Stanton has already noted that he was “sickly” and considering that his father died in 1873 and that his son Edward was not living with his mother it would seem probable. I also checked to see if he could be living with Cawood relatives but once again drove down a dead end road. It would seem since Charles Cawood did not die until 1873 that he could be found in the 1870 census but I cannot find him.

I am most honored that Mr. John Stanton is pleased with my discoveries. Those who have never done research could never possibly know how much time and effort can be expended just to find one small clue. I appreciate your interest.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - k.cawood - 07-24-2013 08:53 PM