Did Lincoln pick up Maj. Rathbone amd Miss Harris?
06-29-2013, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-29-2013 08:56 PM by NJREB1863.)
RE: Did Lincoln pick up Maj. Rathbone amd Miss Harris?
(06-28-2013 04:14 PM)calebj123 Wrote:  I tend to believe Laura Keene was not in the box. As most know, the evidence is not concrete, but seeing as how Keene had more to gain and of course had a flair for the dramatic, I can see her inflating her involvement in that historical night.

There was a great article discussing this about six months ago on the Civil War Blog and it brings up several great points. (http://civilwar.gratzpa.org/2012/01/the-...ura-keene/)

Looking at the facts, it's hard to imagine her in there.

1. According the Restoration of Ford's Theatre, the President's box, after removing the partition could hold up to six people each. That's twelve total, however, they also added extra furniture that night, making it more crowded. We know the four original people in the box, then Rathbone let in Dr. Leale, Dr. Taft and Dr. King. That brings it to seven, not to mention the women were wearing hoop skirts and Keene would have added a third large dress to the crowded room. Lincoln himself was sprawled out on the floor by then.

2. Dr. Leale's Report of the assassination and his medical assistance is very detailed. While he mentions requesting water and the water brought back, he doesn't ever mention Laura Keene. He does state that entrance to the box was very crowded and it was difficult initially for the men to move the president to the Peterson house. Which makes me believe Keene could not have entered the box that way. Especially coming from the complete opposite end of the Theatre. She would have been last in line at that time. He also states that after pulling the coagulant of blood from the president's head, the other doctor's arrived soon and they quickly decided to move the president. I don't see a lot of time for Keene to enter the picture.

3. Clara Harris has denied Keene was there. Keene herself never officially stated it. Reports on how she got there are conflicting, and some seem impossible. Like I mentioned earlier. Clara was the most clear minded of the witnesses, besides the doctors. Henry was bleeding profusely, Mary Todd was hysterical. I think Clara would have noticed Laura there and probably was so adamant about her not being there because the possibility of it was preposterous.

4. Many of these reports state her as the first to enter the box. This doesn't make any sense. Rathbone himself stated he allowed Leale to enter then asked Colonel Crawford to prevent anyone else from entering. Even if Keene did make it to the Box door, I doubt she would have been allowed to enter. Even being the star of the show, her presence wasn't necessary.

As with most disputed facts though, the truth might never really be learned.

While your thoughts as to why Keene would not have been able to access the box after the assassination make sense, they can't explain her bloodied dress which was kept and displayed on certain occasions for years. The documentation on the dress, as far as I know, is solid.

Tony
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Did Lincoln pick up Maj. Rathbone amd Miss Harris? - Rhatkinson - 05-20-2013, 08:55 PM
RE: Did Lincoln pick up Maj. Rathbone amd Miss Harris? - Rhatkinson - 05-21-2013, 09:03 AM
RE: Did Lincoln pick up Maj. Rathbone amd Miss Harris? - Rhatkinson - 05-21-2013, 08:34 PM
RE: Did Lincoln pick up Maj. Rathbone amd Miss Harris? - NJREB1863 - 06-29-2013 08:56 PM