Favorite spots at Gettysburg?
06-28-2013, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 07:39 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Favorite spots at Gettysburg?
I have not been to Gettysburg for quite a few years, and cameras and I have never gotten along; so I am not the best one to give advice. Devil's Den and Little Round Top are two of my favorite places. Even though I don't believe in ghosts, I can see where many who do could envision spirits hovering in these spots.

I am a big fan of the wide variety of monuments at Gettysburg, especially the magnificent one from the State of Pennsylvania. Just taking in the wonderful sculptural art of most of those would keep me content.

About thirty years ago, a group of us Surratt chicks stumbled upon an isolated farm run by the NPS, and I think it was near Little Round Top. I never knew the name of it, but I frequently see reference to the Spangler Farm, so that may have been the place. Anyhow, it was a wonderful recreation of an 1863 farm caught in the middle of a great battle. We had been wandering through a wooded area, and all of a sudden we came out into this open area with smoke coming out of the simple house's chimney, etc. The most unusual thing about the farm, however, was that every surrounding tree was inhabited by buzzards. I'm a country girl, but everyone's first instinct was to stop dead (pardon the pun) in our tracks. The story that was told there is that Gettysburg had never had buzzards until the battle. Now, the varmints never leave.

I just saw a listing of special exhibits that are going to be part of the 150 commemoration in the town. One is composed of relics related to the Civil War notables -- Lincoln, Davis, Lee, Grant, Douglass, Clara Barton, and others. I believe that is at the Visitors' Center. Another was a field hospital set-up with displays related to battle injuries, deaths, and mourning. I think that is located elsewhere in the town, but do inquire if interested.

And, of course, you must visit the National Cemetery. Also travel to the town's square to see the Wills House and the Gettysburg Hotel. For lunch or dinner, I would recommend the Dobbin House. It is photogenic also.

I forgot to mention that you are not that far from Frederick, Maryland, when visiting Gettysburg. On your way home, you might want to drop down across the Mason-Dixon Line and visit the sites there for a day: The Monocacy Battlefield, where in 1864, the battle managed to slow Early's invasion of Washington long enough to get reinforcements to D.C.; The National Museum of Civil War Medicine is one of the finest museums around with wonderful scenes from battlefields, etc. If you have the opportunity to get a guided tour, take it. I had one of the best guides I have ever had at any museum -- and trust me, I am a tough critic (but polite and keep my thoughts to myself).

The Barbara Fritchie Home made famous in the legend of the elderly woman who protected the Union flag is in Frederick also as is the grave of Francis Scott Key, if you want to throw in the War of 1812. Roger B. Taney's home and law office is there, but I'm not sure if it is open on a regular basis. There is also a gorgeous antebellum home, Rose Hill Manor, that is now a museum. I believe that they may specialize in children's history of the 1800s.

That should be enough to tire you out.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Favorite spots at Gettysburg? - ELCore - 06-27-2013, 09:57 AM
RE: Favorite spots at Gettysburg? - L Verge - 06-28-2013 07:27 PM
RE: Favorite spots at Gettysburg? - BettyO - 06-28-2013, 08:42 PM
RE: Favorite spots at Gettysburg? - ELCore - 06-29-2013, 10:41 PM
RE: Favorite spots at Gettysburg? - BettyO - 06-30-2013, 07:43 AM
RE: Favorite spots at Gettysburg? - Gene C - 07-03-2013, 12:03 PM
RE: Favorite spots at Gettysburg? - BettyO - 07-03-2013, 12:16 PM
RE: Favorite spots at Gettysburg? - Hess1865 - 07-06-2013, 07:59 AM