Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war?
05-24-2013, 10:48 PM
RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war?
Laurie. I will give you a brief story about Fannie Dade, but I want to leave out names and dates, until I copyright the whole story. When I am ready-to-go, I will give it to you for publication in the Courier. As you know - everything we say here ends up on Google. I'm not writing to make money, I just want credit.
Fanny Dade was born Frances Byrd Turner, in Western Virginia. Her parents died, so she moved in with her Grand parents, here in King George. At 18 she married "Mr" Dade. He lived only two years more and left Fannie with a daughter to raise. Mr. Dade's brothers went off to war and Fannie stayed behind and worked to save the farms. That's plural, there were several farms to save. One on the Rappahannock and one on the Potomac. At this same time, there was a Confederate Agent in Washington who became uncovered, and beat a path to Virginia, but he left behind an agent who reported to him daily, for the rest of the war. The agent on the run ended up setting-up his camp on one of Fannies Farms. They became an item in this town.
As the war progressed, Fannie's slaves left her and tagged along with any Union troop that passed her way. She became desperate, so she began to sell "her observations" to a Union contact in Fredericksburg. Her name is never mentioned in their reports - only "The Woman in Fredericksburg". Here is an item you have NEVER seen before. She was the Northern end of "Crazy Bet's" spy ring. She put the escaped prisoners on to Gunboats, or across the Potomac, to freedom. Everyone knows that Samuel Ruth - Superintendant of the Railroad from Richmond to Fredericksburg - was a Union Agent, and carried the escaped soldiers to the end-of-the-line. And Fannie took over. (That should be news to the whole world).
I will give you a teaser or two and quit for now. The Agent that **** left behind, worked in the front office of the U. S. Secret Service right under the nose of Lafayette Baker. He has never beed discovered - until now. He's the one who tiped-off the south that Wistar and Dahlgren were coming on raids. Another teaser. When *****was arrested and taken to Washington, April 17, 1865 +/-, The same landing party, from the same gunboat, then went ashore and arrested Fannie Dade and took her to Washington. I can describe her trip - boat by boat - as she moved up river. But when she got to the Navy Yard, only MEN got off the boat. Just to tease some more, Fannie got arrested by the South and taken to trial. In order to save her own life, and that of her daughter, she spilled the beans on the "Crazy Bet' escape system. That's a whole story of its own. There was bribery, crooked Judges, etc. and everybody went home to continue their careears. Samuel Ruth, the Union Agent, filed an expense sheet for his "costs" and included the Gold he used to bribe the Judge. It's a great story, very serious, very dangerous, funny at times, and they all go home smiling.
PS. I told this story - way way back, when I was invited to talk to the Surratt Society, when they had monthly meetings, Maybe 30 years ago. But I've learned more since then. I have pictures of Fannie, her daughter, ****, etc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does anyone know what Cawood did after the war? - John Stanton - 05-24-2013 10:48 PM