Why Were The Radical Republicans Radical?
05-01-2013, 02:43 PM
RE: Why Were The Radical Republicans Radical?
(05-01-2013 09:34 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I am loving this thread! It is very refreshing to see give-and-take that includes a view of the issues from both sides taken in the context of the era (not interpreted by our modern political beliefs). This is what I call history lessons...

Laurie, I agree. And thanks to Liz and Tom Wink for your elaborated replies (that's generally great here) and the book recommendation (sounds good). This thread also gives an idea of the endless number of "what-would-have-happened-if games" that indicates the impact of timing, chance, fate, fortune (whatever one may call it) and even weather conditions on history.
Liz, surely Lincoln provided the necessary will, and from the very beginning he wanted to bring in the full power of the North against the rebellions. But if he had been more successfull in urging and pressing his generals during 1861/62, do you think the war would have come to an earlier end? And what would have happened to slavery then? (Certainly there might have been and still be endless speculation on this, but I'm curious on personal opinions.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Were The Radical Republicans Radical? - Eva Elisabeth - 05-01-2013 02:43 PM