Group Photo of Hartranft and his Staff
01-17-2013, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2013 12:28 PM by BettyO.)
RE: Group Photo of Hartranft and his Staff
Thanks, Gene!

Quote:I was wondering about the time frame when the verdicts became public knowledge. When were they first announced in the newspapers? I think they were sealed on or about June 30. Would Gardner have known on July 5 that the executions would be July 7? Who issued the pass to Gardner for July 5? I think I once read that the prisoners could actually hear the construction of the gallows. Is there a date for that? I think they learned their fate on July 6. Was it Johnson who set July 7? Would Gardner have known that on July 5? Could he have been given an "early tip" on what would ensue?

I guess I am basically asking "who knew what?" and "when did they know it?"

Roger -- As far as I know, the verdicts became public knowledge (as well as private as the conspirators knew) on the morning of July 6th for Mom and the boys and in the "Second Edition" or evening printing of July 6th for the public. This was in local Washington DC papers such as the Star. However, the National Republican which had excellent coverage by Reporter R. F. Boiseau, published their notice on July 7 and the actual hanging on July 8. Other papers outside of DC, seem to have carried the news of the four being notified of their death sentence on the 7th and the hanging on the 8th.

I'll let John answer with the rest here -

Thanks!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Group Photo of Hartranft and his Staff - BettyO - 01-17-2013 12:22 PM