Lincoln, Davis and Booth: Family Secrets
09-20-2014, 11:44 AM
RE: Lincoln, Davis and Booth: Family Secrets
Excuse me, but I'm going to be off-line for awhile. I think I'll start writing my retirement papers! I just can't take all this...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2014, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2014 05:22 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
You will have a lot of time to fill when retired, look into subscribing to a good newspaper e.g. the "Dayton Daily News Magazine":
http://www.daytonhistorybooks.com/credible.html
09-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Hadn't seen this particular article before, but the "escaped to India" story is one that is familiar. I think I better get higher dosages of my blood pressure medicine before 2015 rolls around.
02-07-2020, 01:15 PM
(05-22-2013 07:48 PM)Troy Cowan Wrote:  Lincoln, Davis, and Booth: family secrets tells of the sad, sad life of Abraham Lincoln and his mother. For over a century people have described Lincoln's melancholy and wondered why. After reading this book, it is easy to understand.

LincolnMan asked, "what secrets?"

Lincoln's secret
Nancy Lincoln had an affair with another man and it resulted in Abraham's birth. When Abraham grew up, he wanted a life in politics. If it became known that he was a bastard and had an adulterous mother, he could not become president. His families history had to be kept secret.

Davis family secret
Joseph Davis (Jefferson Davis' older brother) discovered his father's adultery with Nancy Lincoln. He and the older Davis children had to keep their father's adultery a secret from their mother. If their father's affair became known to their mother, it would breakup the family. The children had to keep this family secret from their mother.

Booth's family secret
John Wilkes Booth's mother knew John was not killed in the Garrett barn. She had to keep this information from authorities and the public.

So basically the Civil War was a family feud between two half brothers? Give me a break...