Booth's Boston Haunts
02-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Booth's Boston Haunts
I live near Boston so I consider my home away from home to be the Parker House Hotel where JWB stayed about a week before the assassination. Sometimes when I meet my friends for a drink at the bar in the back of the hotel, I think that this was the exact location where booth had breakfast in the former dining room overlooking Chapman place. Chapman Place is an old alley and I read that JWB dined in the dining room and the sun was shining in from Chapman Place.

So if you're ever in Boston, stop by the Parker house on School and Chapman Place. It's a great old hotel.

Also, on Tremont street is now the Tremont temple where booth performed and across the street is the site of the Tremont House hotel (no longer there) where he also stayed. Apparently, there was a sooting gallery on Tremont Street near the hotel where Booth practiced before the assassination but I don't know the exact location. I think it was in the basement of some building.

Across the river in Cambridge, many of the Booth's are buried in Mt. Auburn cemetery.

Mike
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2013, 01:43 PM
RE: Booth's Boston Haunts
Does the Parker House still serve Parker House rolls?
02-14-2013, 01:44 PM
They sell them at a local grocery chain here and they are called Parker House Rolls! My mother refers to them as such as well.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
02-14-2013, 02:15 PM
(02-14-2013 01:44 PM)BettyO Wrote:  They sell them at a local grocery chain here and they are called Parker House Rolls! My mother refers to them as such as well.....

Yes they serve them and they are quite good. The Boston Cream Pie is the original too.
02-14-2013, 02:21 PM
(02-14-2013 02:15 PM)mgambuzza Wrote:  
(02-14-2013 01:44 PM)BettyO Wrote:  They sell them at a local grocery chain here and they are called Parker House Rolls! My mother refers to them as such as well.....

Yes they serve them and they are quite good. The Boston Cream Pie is the original too.

Love Boston Cream Pie, too!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
02-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Forgot to mention Edwin Booth had a house on Chesnut Street on Beacon Hill. Edwin had very good taste. If I hit the lottery...

Mike
02-14-2013, 06:00 PM
We had Parker House rolls all the time when I was a child. I think the name became generic because they were sold under a variety of bakery names, but labeled as Parker House. Did Boston Cream Pie originate at the Parker House? Sorry, it's almost 5 pm, and I didn't have lunch.

Mike - If you win the lottery, it's going to need to be a very big payoff with your plans!
02-14-2013, 06:07 PM

(02-14-2013 11:50 AM)mgambuzza Wrote:  I live near Boston so I consider my home away from home to be the Parker House Hotel where JWB stayed about a week before the assassination. Sometimes when I meet my friends for a drink at the bar in the back of the hotel, I think that this was the exact location where booth had breakfast in the former dining room overlooking Chapman place. Chapman Place is an old alley and I read that JWB dined in the dining room and the sun was shining in from Chapman Place.

Mike

Mike,
Booth honed his shooting skills at Floyd & Edward Pistol Gallery, 2 Chapman Place. He attracted a crowd by shooting over his shoulder and through his legs. Attached is a letter summarizing Booth sites in Boston. Also a picture of the land JWB owned on Commonwealth Ave and the Parker House.            

Art
02-15-2013, 08:02 AM
(02-14-2013 06:07 PM)Art Loux Wrote:  
(02-14-2013 11:50 AM)mgambuzza Wrote:  I live near Boston so I consider my home away from home to be the Parker House Hotel where JWB stayed about a week before the assassination. Sometimes when I meet my friends for a drink at the bar in the back of the hotel, I think that this was the exact location where booth had breakfast in the former dining room overlooking Chapman place. Chapman Place is an old alley and I read that JWB dined in the dining room and the sun was shining in from Chapman Place.

Mike
Do either of those buildings date to 1865? The Parker House looks like it may, but looks to be re-modeled. The other building, maybe 1880's?

Mike,
Booth honed his shooting skills at Floyd & Edward Pistol Gallery, 2 Chapman Place. He attracted a crowd by shooting over his shoulder and through his legs. Attached is a letter summarizing Booth sites in Boston. Also a picture of the land JWB owned on Commonwealth Ave and the Parker House.

Art
02-17-2013, 10:36 AM
(02-14-2013 06:07 PM)Art Loux Wrote:  

Mike

Mike,

Art

Thanks Art. I'm glad to finally know where the shooting gallery was located!
02-17-2013, 10:50 AM
My cousin's great grandfather's house was (still is) on Commonwealth. It is on the National Register. It is suppose to be one the the most gaudy homes on the register. Woner if Booth ever went to the Hilltop Steak House id Saugus. Did he ever carve his initials in a plastic cow there?

Smile