Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
06-17-2013, 06:34 PM
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
I was looking for Eva's answer - beer; but now I'm intrigued with the recipe for Sally Lunn bread. I have heard of it, but have never eaten it. Back to Google...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-19-2013, 02:15 PM
In 1847 the Lincolns had their home repainted. What was the name of the man they hired to paint their home?
06-19-2013, 02:32 PM
(06-19-2013 02:15 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  In 1847 the Lincolns had their home repainted. What was the name of the man they hired to paint their home?

E.G. Johns
06-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Correct, Joe! Good job!
06-22-2013, 10:30 AM
When Matilda Johnston (a daughter of Abraham Lincoln's stepmother) married Squire Hall what was the name of the presiding minister?
06-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Hint #1: I cannot find a date for the minister's birth so he could have been a young man.
06-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Hint #2: Possibly he could be called young even if he were old.
06-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Rev. Young?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Close enough, Gene! The minister's name was Young Lamar.

Louis A. Warren writes that Young Lamar also conducted the interment rites for Nancy Hanks Lincoln in 1818.
07-05-2013, 08:34 PM
There is a statue of Abraham Lincoln in front of Ewa Elementary School in what state?
07-06-2013, 05:37 AM
I am thinking Hawaii.
07-06-2013, 12:01 PM
And, you are thinking correctly. I was surprised to learn that Hawaii actually sent troops to support the Union during the Civil War. Abraham Lincoln had greatly impressed King Kamehameha V by sending a heartfelt letter of sympathy to him in February of 1864, upon the death of the King's brother.

I just learned this from a new book entitled Here Is Where: Discovering American's Great Forgotten History by Andrew Carroll.
07-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Who wrote this about Abraham Lincoln?

"My father, in eating an apple, had the rather unusual habit of holding it in both hands. Mr. Lincoln, as he stepped out on the portico of the White House, was eating an apple which he was holding in both hands! He had on the inevitable high hat, which he wore summer and winter. Still eating the apple, he passed down the steps, bowing and smiling, and entered the closed carriage. He had to bend his tall body very much before he could enter.

The thing that I remember best and care most to remember was the smile that flitted across Mr. Lincoln's plain and rugged face. It was not forced. It was as spontaneous as the smile of a mother looking down into the face of the child in her arms....But there was nothing about him that was imposing or awesome; no exhibition of the pride or arrogance, or even the reserve, that sometimes characterizes the attitudes of rulers of great nations. The world now knows that he loved not himself but his fellow man. My boy's heart warmed toward him, and I longed to hear him speak."
07-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Was this written by Stanton's son?
07-09-2013, 03:23 PM
I am sorry, Roger, but it wasn't Stanton's son. I put this question in the "trivial trivia" section because the right answer is not a familiar name to most folks.

Hint #1: The young man was 18 when he observed Lincoln eating the apple in 1863, but his recollections weren't published until 1922.