Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
01-05-2013, 10:17 AM
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
Ok, TV Western fans-which series featured the lead character who had served as a Lieutenant in the 19th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 10:55 AM
(01-05-2013 10:17 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Ok, TV Western fans-which series featured the lead character who had served as a Lieutenant in the 19th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment?

The RIFLEMAN with Chuck Connors--I only knew this, Bill, since they rerun the series on a retro channel in Ohio.
Happy New Year,
Joe
Find all posts by this user
01-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Joe-you got it! There is one particular episode in which Lucas McCain takes in a Confederate veteran to work as a hand. During his stay, the homestead gets a visit from General Dan. The drama unfolds...interesting episode.

Bill Nash
01-05-2013, 11:37 AM
I've mentioned before what a dyed-in-the-wool Chicago Cubs' fan I am - he was a Cubs' first baseman when I was in 3rd grade.
01-05-2013, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 11:49 AM by Gene C.)
Chuck Conners also played basketball for the Boston Celtics

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
01-06-2013, 07:12 AM
From what I've read Chuck Connors was a good man. I miss him. Joe, the Rifleman is played here on TV in the Detroit area too. I was amazed to notice the other day that none other than Sam Peckinpah was involved in the creation of the series.

Bill Nash
01-06-2013, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 04:07 PM by LincolnMan.)
Interestingly enough, another western TV series Chuck Connors did featured him as a disgraced ex-Army officer in Branded! In that show, he had been in the Civil War and remained in service during the Indian Wars-up until he was booted out of the military for his actions-which were deemed cowardly but falsely so.

Bill Nash
01-06-2013, 05:09 PM
(01-06-2013 04:02 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Interestingly enough, another western TV series Chuck Connors did . . .

Okay; here's my low-brow Chuck Connors trivia question: When and in what way did Connors play Superman?

--Jim

Please visit my blog: http://jimsworldandwelcometoit.com/
01-06-2013, 07:06 PM
Jim: was it with George Reeves in some way?

Bill Nash
01-06-2013, 07:32 PM
(01-06-2013 07:06 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Jim: was it with George Reeves in some way?

Bill, you are on the right track!

--Jim

01-06-2013, 08:45 PM
My guess is that, perhaps, Connors appeared on the old Superman show? Connors was a big man. I'm told he was 6'5" inches tall. He would have made an impressive Superman.

Bill Nash
01-06-2013, 09:50 PM
(01-06-2013 08:45 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  My guess is that, perhaps, Connors appeared on the old Superman show?

It was one of the later George Reeves shows, as it was in color, and Connors played a hillbilly, complete with denim overalls and a mule named Lulubelle. His name was Sylvester J. Superman, and he'd heard about a newspaper ad begging Superman to take a freshly baked lemon pie to a woman's boyfriend or husband stationed in a remote part of Alaska. A crook was also after the pie, and Connors was unaware of the real Superman's existence.

Very amusing show and Connors did a great job as the hayseed of steel.

--Jim

01-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Jim: but let me get this right-it was from the Superman show? I wasn't aware that any of the episodes had been in color.

Bill Nash
01-07-2013, 12:10 AM
(01-06-2013 10:43 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Jim: but let me get this right-it was from the Superman show? I wasn't aware that any of the episodes had been in color.

Yep; the last couple of seasons of that show were filmed in color, though they were broadcast in black-and-white until years later.

For the mid-1950s, to film in color was a forward-thinking decision. You know that color TV sets in common use were a decade away.

--Jim

01-07-2013, 05:47 PM
You right about that. We actually didn't get a color set until 1965 or so. I remember watching the first season of Star Trek-which was in color.

Bill Nash