"Alias Paine"
01-19-2013, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2013 08:39 AM by BettyO.)
RE: "Alias Paine"
An interesting thing about taking the so-called "Iron-bound" Oath. During reconstruction, if a Confederate took the Oath, he was liable to be able to draw rations to feed his family. Without taking the Oath, one would also not be able to open a business, i.e. acquire a business license, or vote (once voting was restored to southerners.)

In direct contrast, southerners would DISALLOW any Confederate Veteran who willingly took the oath to join Confederate Veteran Societies. That still stands today. If your ancestor took the Oath - you can not join the Sons of Confederate Veterans or Daughters of Confederate Veteran Societies!

In August of 1865, a month after his son's death by hanging, Powell's father, Reverend George C. Powell was made to take the Oath as well. An attempt, I would surmise to prove that the family was not against the Union.

Here's a good Victorian representation of "Taking the Oath and Drawing Rations" - a Roger's statue which was popular at the time.

Although the lady is taking the Oath, she seems to be doing so reluctantly, and looking at her young son, she is only doing so that she can feed her child. The Union officer seems somewhat sympathetic and almost looks as though he hates to have to make her take the Oath!

[Image: takingtheoathanddrawing.jpg]

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-2013, 09:14 AM
That's very interesting, Betty. Thank you. It sounds a bit trivial, like it was just a formality, but what were the consequences if you took the oath and were found to violate it? (Love the figurine of the reluctant She Rebel!)

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
01-19-2013, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-19-2013 09:53 AM by BettyO.)
The consequences, Joe?

Pretty much like what happened to Powell! Arrest. Remember that Lieutenant H. B. Smith had written on Powell's Oath in March that he was to "Stay North of Philadelphia." By violating the Oath, he would once again be subject to arrest. That was the reason that he stuck close to the Herndon House when in DC right before the assassination.

Thanks!

Yes that Roger's statue is beautiful! I'd love to have a copy of that...and I think you can buy them online.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Hello All, I may be behind a bit. I have been busy living life with two new grandchildren! Also our first grandchilren. How great it is to have little ones again. Anyway as for our Mr. Paine I just got done reading my frist copy of The Surratt Courier
(Which I enjoyed very much) and the main story was on Mr. Lewis Powll. The short story made for some very good and interesting reading. This poor soul seemed to always be in harms way. I must say that I respect his willing to do what he thought was his duty without hesitation and excepting his fate with honor. I wonder if he had continued his relationship with Mary Branson maybe things would have worked out different for him. I just ordered Alias Paine from the Surratt House and am very much looking forward to reading our very own Betty'O's book. From what I have read from you all about this book I believe I also will be looking forward to her second book on this very interesting person we new so very little of.
01-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks so very much for your kind words, Gary!

I'm glad you enjoyed the article on the Branson sisters (more research on them is forthcoming!) I hope you enjoy Alias as much as I enjoy researching it. Young Mr. Powell is a very intriguing fellow. Yes, he was brave and forthright for one so very young, impressionable and loyal to a "T".

Thanks again, Gary -

01-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Is the other young man in the statue an African-American? If so, what is the sculptor trying to convey with his presence?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Bill -- what statue? The Roger's statue?

Don't know the import of that at all. Other than that he is looking at the lady (former mistress?) somewhat sadly as if he knows that now she may be experiencing a form of bondage herself..... really don't know what the significance is, but it's a beautiful statue.

01-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Yes, the Rogers statue. Just wondering Smile

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-20-2013, 05:32 PM
These statues are wonderful and I do believe that they make repros online. I 'd love to have one. Rogers not only made statues from the Civil War period but continued on up through the 1880s including such topics as "The Parson's Daughter", "The Courtship", "The Schoolmaster" and other popular 19th Century subjects. One could call him the "Norman Rockwell" of 3D in the Victorian era! HA!

01-22-2013, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2014 04:16 PM by My Name Is Kate.)
Lewis idolized Mosby, didn't he? I'm wondering if there is any info on Mosby's thoughts after Lewis died, and if he had any regrets about picking him for the Confederate spy plot.

Could it be possible that Lewis was the very last Civil War soldier to "die in action" so to speak, not counting any wounded soldiers who may have died after him?
01-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Interesting, Kate.

Yes, Lew idolized Mosby, according to the Branson sisters. Oddly, nothing has been recorded regarding his thoughts on Lew in the 43rd, although others mentioned him and mentioned his leaving the unit as well....

Quote:Could it be possible that Lewis was the very last Civil War soldier to "die in action" so to speak, not counting any wounded soldiers who may have died after him?

I don't know....but in July of 1865, unless there were others dying from wounds, then possibly so.... we'll never know, but interesting all the same, Kate -

01-22-2013, 03:29 PM
I thought Powell had deserted from the Confederate army.
01-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Powell never deserted Linda. The term "desertion" was also used as an euphemism by Confederates to camouflage subversive activities.

01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
(01-22-2013 03:38 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Powell never deserted Linda. The term "desertion" was also used as an euphemism by Confederates to camouflage subversive activities.

Thanks, Betty. Do you know if Powell was a Mosby Ranger at the time he assaulted Seward?
01-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Supposedly he still was affiliated with Mosby. He was never legally transferred to the Secret Service Branch. He was "recruited" from Mosby to serve on a mission "in Maryland behind the lines" according to one of Mosby's Rangers, Lt. Ben Palmer in the early 20th Century.