Lincoln Movie - Your Reviews
12-07-2012, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2012 07:13 PM by Ashley Norman.)
RE: Lincoln Movie - Your Reviews
in the Movie how they choose to end it it was very well thought throught and they I thought they picked the perfect person to play Lincoln. Daniel DAy LEwis did a wonderful job of portraying Abraham.
I think it would honestly be very fun to go into public speacking about the Lincolns. Abraham's speeches were absolutly brilliant and the movie sttributed t o them well.

I also think that Ms Keckley was an interesting part to Mary's life.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2012, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 04:20 PM by Jennie.)
(12-07-2012 06:17 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Jennie, just a note to say thank you for your positive words on your wonderful American Presidents Blog.

Not a problem! Glad to help - hopefully get you a few new knowledgeable members!

(12-07-2012 10:45 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I agree with Jennie also that the average movie goer would not understand the Victorian obsession with maintaing proper mourning. Mary's love of fashion was part of her personna - and something that modern audiences can relate to. Having not yet seen the film, did they even mention the series of deaths of farmily members that occurred which would cause her mourning?

On a personal note, the observance of mourning was much more pronounced when I was a child than it is today - not like what the Victorians did, but certainly not as casual as today's standards. I doubt that anyone under age 60 today would remember the old symbolism of mourning.

No, not really. All they really talk about is Willie, hence why, to me, any emphasis on the mourning would have been associated with him, not her other relatives.
12-12-2012, 11:37 PM
(12-11-2012 04:18 PM)Jennie Wrote:  
(12-07-2012 06:17 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Jennie, just a note to say thank you for your positive words on your wonderful American Presidents Blog.

Not a problem! Glad to help - hopefully get you a few new knowledgeable members!

(12-07-2012 10:45 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I agree with Jennie also that the average movie goer would not understand the Victorian obsession with maintaing proper mourning. Mary's love of fashion was part of her personna - and something that modern audiences can relate to. Having not yet seen the film, did they even mention the series of deaths of farmily members that occurred which would cause her mourning?

On a personal note, the observance of mourning was much more pronounced when I was a child than it is today - not like what the Victorians did, but certainly not as casual as today's standards. I doubt that anyone under age 60 today would remember the old symbolism of mourning.

No, not really. All they really talk about is Willie, hence why, to me, any emphasis on the mourning would have been associated with him, not her other relatives.

I will try to see the film again at some point. Maybe as a DVD. Are there any Lincoln buffs that overall give it a thumbs down on this forum? I mean overall. There maybe parts you didn't like, but overall would anyone give it the Siskel and Ebert thumbs down?