Junius Booth's child William
06-25-2021, 02:37 AM
Junius Booth's child William
I'm curious to know more about Junius Brutus Booth Sr's son William. I found this on a Wikipedia and wonder why there isn't more information on William. This is what information I have found: (taken from Wikipedia.)

On 26 September 1811, a single woman named Sarah Blackbeard, of St Leonard, Shoreditch, gave birth to a son, William. Called before a magistrate in March 1812, she stated that "one Junius Brutus Booth who resides at his Father's No. 1 Dove Row in the said Parish of St Leonard Shoreditch Gentleman... is the true and only Father of such Child."[2] She repeated this as sworn evidence in 1813, when the child became chargeable on the parish under the Poor Law, giving Booth's address then as Queen Street, Bloomsbury.[3]

I know this website is not that reliable but does this have any truth to it? I'd like to know more about the child, William. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-27-2021, 07:32 AM
RE: Junius Booth's child William
(06-25-2021 02:37 AM)Saragouzou Wrote:  I'm curious to know more about Junius Brutus Booth Sr's son William. I found this on a Wikipedia and wonder why there isn't more information on William. This is what information I have found: (taken from Wikipedia.)

On 26 September 1811, a single woman named Sarah Blackbeard, of St Leonard, Shoreditch, gave birth to a son, William. Called before a magistrate in March 1812, she stated that "one Junius Brutus Booth who resides at his Father's No. 1 Dove Row in the said Parish of St Leonard Shoreditch Gentleman... is the true and only Father of such Child."[2] She repeated this as sworn evidence in 1813, when the child became chargeable on the parish under the Poor Law, giving Booth's address then as Queen Street, Bloomsbury.[3]

I know this website is not that reliable but does this have any truth to it? I'd like to know more about the child, William. Thanks!

You could try
https://www.rootspoint.com
I put in William Booth , year of birth 1811, and census 1841, and for place lived Shoreditch. I got a result but you have to subscribe (free for the first few searches) to view the actual census details.

https://www.rootspoint.com/record/1841-U...e169e181b/

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
07-02-2021, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2021 02:32 PM by Saragouzou.)
(06-27-2021 07:32 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  
(06-25-2021 02:37 AM)Saragouzou Wrote:  I'm curious to know more about Junius Brutus Booth Sr's son William. I found this on a Wikipedia and wonder why there isn't more information on William. This is what information I have found: (taken from Wikipedia.)

You could try
I put in William Booth , year of birth 1811, and census 1841, and for place lived Shoreditch. I got a result but you have to subscribe (free for the first few searches) to view the actual census details.

Interesting. I'm surprised not much is out there on William. I grew up being told I'm related to JWB. A few years ago I got curious and started looking at exactly how we could be related to JWB. I still can't find the link. I really don't believe we are but the way the family discusses how the events of that day effected them and tried to hide the fact makes me wonder if it could be true. My dad has a recruiting poster (I believe it is dated around 1863) from his great grandfather Stephen Booth, who was in the military at the time. His name on the poster is listed as Cpt. S. Booth, Milford MA. Thing is when you look at his records of service Stephen is listed as entering as a private and leaving as a private. My dad believes that it was because of the family relationship that Stephen was demoted. When I contacted the Rhode Island Historical Society they didn't have any information on Stephen's service except the being a private. (Stephen was in the Rhode Island 4TH Infantry.) William Booth was the name of his father but the dates don't match up with the dates of the William Booth mentioned above. I believe Stephen Booth, (my 2nd great grandfather) came to the US around 1832 from Leeds Bradford area in England. He was the youngest of 16 children born in 1825. From what facts I've found it seems the family moved around a lot because they would help set up mills.
07-02-2021, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2021 06:52 PM by Steve Whitlock.)
(07-02-2021 02:09 PM)Saragouzou Wrote:  
(06-27-2021 07:32 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  

You could try

Interesting. I'm surprised not much is out there on William. I grew up being told I'm related to JWB. A few years ago I got curious and started looking at exactly how we could be related to JWB. I still can't find the link. I really don't believe we are but the way the family discusses how the events of that day effected them and tried to hide the fact makes me wonder if it could be true. My dad has a recruiting poster (I believe it is dated around 1863) from his great grandfather Stephen Booth, who was in the military at the time. His name on the poster is listed as Cpt. S. Booth, Milford MA. Thing is when you look at his records of service Stephen is listed as entering as a private and leaving as a private. My dad believes that it was because of the family relationship that Stephen was demoted. When I contacted the Rhode Island Historical Society they didn't have any information on Stephen's service except the being a private. (Stephen was in the Rhode Island 4TH Infantry.) William Booth was the name of his father but the dates don't match up with the dates of the William Booth mentioned above. I believe Stephen Booth, (my 2nd great grandfather) came to the US around 1832 from Leeds Bradford area in England. He was the youngest of 16 children born in 1825. From what facts I've found it seems the family moved around a lot because they would help set up mills.

Have you done any atdna (autosomal dna) testing?

Roger,

William Blackbeard
in the London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1698-1930
Name: William Blackbeard
Event Type: Settlement Papers
Residence Date: 7 Mar 1812
Residence Poor Law Union: Shoreditch
Residence: Shoreditch, London, England
William Blackbeard
in the London, England, Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records, 1698-1930
Name: William Blackbeard
Event Type: Settlement Papers
Residence Date: 18 Aug 1813
Residence Poor Law Union: Shoreditch
Residence: St Leonard, Shoreditch, London, England
For both of the above entries I have the documents, but once again they exceed the size allowed. In both instances Junius Brutus Booth was in fact named as the father by Sarah Blackbeard. He would have been 14 when William was conceived and 15 when William Blackbeard was born 26 Sep 1811.
07-02-2021, 09:45 PM

Your Stephen Booth proves that he isn't the son of William Blackbeard/Booth.

Stephen Booth
Birth 29 Jul 1825
England
Death 16 Jul 1900 (aged 74)
Larned, Pawnee County, Kansas, USA
Burial
Larned Cemetery
Larned, Pawnee County, Kansas, USA
Plot SC 430
Memorial ID 87227202 · View Source
Husband of Lucy
Family Members
Parents
William Booth
1783–1864
Ann Smith Booth
1779–1855
Spouse
Photo
Lucy J. Kelton Booth
1832–1916
Siblings
Photo
William Booth
1806–1882
Photo
Thomas Booth
1808–1857
Photo
Rebecca Booth Knight
1817–1894
Photo
Ann Booth Rowley
1820–1913
Children
Photo
Sara Jane Booth Cherry
1850–1929
Photo
Fred Booth
1853–1917
Photo
Lucy Agnes Booth Booth
1856–1914
Photo
George W. Booth
1867–1940
William Booth
Birth 1783
Death 19 Feb 1864 (aged 80–81)
Burial
Saint James Cemetery
Woonsocket, Providence County, Rhode Island, USA
Plot 40
Memorial ID 51818288 · View Source

Family Members
Spouse
Ann Smith Booth
1779–1855 (m. 1804)
Children
Photo
William Booth
1806–1882
Photo
Thomas Booth
1808–1857
Photo
Rebecca Booth Knight
1817–1894
Photo
Ann Booth Rowley
1820–1913
Photo
Stephen Booth
1825–1900
Your Stephen Booth b: 1825 has a father born in 1783, not 1811. Also, Stephen has a brother, William Booth, born in 1806, 5 years before William Blackbeard. The only way there could be a connection to the JWB line would be if William Booth-1783 has a link to a common ancestor for Junius Brutus Booth, and I don't know about that. Dna might say something.

As for William Blackbeard/Booth, I would be interested in finding out whether he had living descendants, especially with the Booth (or Blackbeard) surname.
07-03-2021, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2021 01:53 AM by Steve.)
Steve W.,
You have the wrong person. There were two Stephen Booths who enlisted into Rhode Island Regiments.

One who enlisted in Company D 4th Infantry Regiment and the other in Company B 1st Rhode Island Cavalry. Based on the pension index the biographical information you provided is for the R. I. Cav. Stephen Booth - who later moved to Kansas, not the Stephen Booth mentioned by Saragouzou. Apparently, the Kansas Stephen Booth is the uncle of Saragouzou's Stephen Booth.

Here's a link to right Stephen Booth's Find a Grave page:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/2250...phen-booth

Here's a rundown of Saragouzou's ancestor's military service

Name: Stephen Booth
Birth Place: Smithfield, Rhode Island
Enlistment Date: 19 Sep 1861
Enlistment Place: Smithfield, Rhode Island
Enlistment Rank: Private
Muster Date: 30 Oct 1861
Muster Place: Rhode Island
Muster Company: D
Muster Regiment: 4th Infantry
Muster Regiment Type: Infantry
Muster Information: Enlisted
Muster Out Date: 15 Oct 1864
Muster Out Place: Providence, Rhode Island
Muster Out Information: Mustered Out
Side of War: Union
Survived War?: Yes
Residence Place: Smithfield, Rhode Island
Title: Register of Rhode Island Volunteers 1861-1865; GAR Dept of Massachusetts 1866-1947 (Sargent)

I found Stephen Booth and his family in the 1841 England and Wales Census, living in Leeds. His father William is listed as having been born in Yorkshire:

Name: Willm Booth
[William Booth]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1806
Where born: Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Headingley Ward
Hundred: Leeds Borough
County/Island: Yorkshire
Street Address:
Registration District: Leeds
Sub-registration District: Kirkstall
Piece: 1344
Book: 2
Folio: 39
Page Number: 9

Household Members:
Name Age

Willm Booth 35
Ana Booth 35
Mary Booth 10
Elizabeth Booth 10
Ann Booth 9
William Booth 7
Henry Booth 4
Stephen Booth 6 Mo

Here he is in the 1850 US census:

Name: William Booth
Birth Year: abt 1806
Birthplace: England
Home in 1850: Smithfield Districts 1 and 4, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Industry: Agriculture
Real Estate: 2000
Line Number: 2
Dwelling Number: 445
Family Number: 509

Household Members & age:

William Booth 44
Nancy Booth 44
Mary Booth 22
Elizabeth Booth 20
Ann Booth 18
William Booth 16
Henry Booth 12
Stephen Booth 8

All household members list their birthplace as England
07-03-2021, 03:14 AM
(07-03-2021 01:05 AM)Steve Wrote:  Steve W.,
You have the wrong person. There were two Stephen Booths who enlisted into Rhode Island Regiments.

One who enlisted in Company D 4th Infantry Regiment and the other in Company B 1st Rhode Island Cavalry. Based on the pension index the biographical information you provided is for the R. I. Cav. Stephen Booth - who later moved to Kansas, not the Stephen Booth mentioned by Saragouzou. Apparently, the Kansas Stephen Booth is the uncle of Saragouzou's Stephen Booth.

Here's a link to right Stephen Booth's Find a Grave page:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/2250...phen-booth

Here's a rundown of Saragouzou's ancestor's military service

Name: Stephen Booth
Birth Place: Smithfield, Rhode Island
Enlistment Date: 19 Sep 1861
Enlistment Place: Smithfield, Rhode Island
Enlistment Rank: Private
Muster Date: 30 Oct 1861
Muster Place: Rhode Island
Muster Company: D
Muster Regiment: 4th Infantry
Muster Regiment Type: Infantry
Muster Information: Enlisted
Muster Out Date: 15 Oct 1864
Muster Out Place: Providence, Rhode Island
Muster Out Information: Mustered Out
Side of War: Union
Survived War?: Yes
Residence Place: Smithfield, Rhode Island
Title: Register of Rhode Island Volunteers 1861-1865; GAR Dept of Massachusetts 1866-1947 (Sargent)

I found Stephen Booth and his family in the 1841 England and Wales Census, living in Leeds. His father William is listed as having been born in Yorkshire:

Name: Willm Booth
[William Booth]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1806
Where born: Yorkshire, England
Civil Parish: Headingley Ward
Hundred: Leeds Borough
County/Island: Yorkshire
Street Address:
Registration District: Leeds
Sub-registration District: Kirkstall
Piece: 1344
Folio: 39
Page Number: 9

Household Members:
Name Age

Willm Booth 35
Ana Booth 35
Mary Booth 10
Elizabeth Booth 10
Ann Booth 9
William Booth 7
Henry Booth 4
Stephen Booth 6 Mo

Here he is in the 1850 US census:

Birth Year: abt 1806
Birthplace: England
Home in 1850: Smithfield Districts 1 and 4, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Industry: Agriculture
Real Estate: 2000
Line Number: 2
Dwelling Number: 445
Family Number: 509

Household Members & age:

William Booth 44
Nancy Booth 44
Mary Booth 22
Elizabeth Booth 20
Ann Booth 18
William Booth 16
Henry Booth 12
Stephen Booth 8

All household members list their birthplace as England
Saragouzou posted:

"Interesting. I'm surprised not much is out there on William. I grew up being told I'm related to JWB. A few years ago I got curious and started looking at exactly how we could be related to JWB. I still can't find the link. I really don't believe we are but the way the family discusses how the events of that day effected them and tried to hide the fact makes me wonder if it could be true. My dad has a recruiting poster (I believe it is dated around 1863) from his great grandfather Stephen Booth, who was in the military at the time. His name on the poster is listed as Cpt. S. Booth, Milford MA. Thing is when you look at his records of service Stephen is listed as entering as a private and leaving as a private. My dad believes that it was because of the family relationship that Stephen was demoted. When I contacted the Rhode Island Historical Society they didn't have any information on Stephen's service except the being a private. (Stephen was in the Rhode Island 4TH Infantry.) William Booth was the name of his father but the dates don't match up with the dates of the William Booth mentioned above. I believe Stephen Booth, (my 2nd great grandfather) came to the US around 1832 from Leeds Bradford area in England. He was the youngest of 16 children born in 1825. From what facts I've found it seems the family moved around a lot because they would help set up mills."

The mention is for a Stephen Booth b: 1825, who came to America ca 1832. That is the Stephen Booth I posted. The Stephen Booth for the link you provided wasn't born until abt 1840. The Stephen-1840 was the son of the William b: 1806 I mentioned, brother of Stephen-1825. Neither William b: 1806, or William b: 1783 was Junius Brutus Booth, and had nothing to do with William Blackbeard/Booth b: 36 Sep 1811.

Stephen Booth
Birth 30 Nov 1840
Leeds, Metropolitan Borough of Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
Death 21 Dec 1908 (aged 68)
Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, USA
Burial
Forest Hills Cemetery and Crematory
Jamaica Plain, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, USA
Memorial ID 225024088 · View Source
A printer the Boston Globe for years.
Married to Minnie Goff of Providence, RI.
Family Members
Parents
Photo
William Booth
1806–1882
Photo
Nancy Ann Morehouse Booth
1806–1869
Siblings
Photo
Elizabeth Booth Page
1830–1907
Photo
Ann Booth
1831–1903
Photo
William Booth
1834–1871
Photo
Frederick Booth
1837–1837
Photo
Henry Booth
1838–1898
Photo
Martha H Booth
1848–1848

Half Siblings
Photo
Carrie S Booth Fry
1875–1945
Meanwhile, William Blackbeard/Booth, son of Sarah Blackbeard, appears to be in the 1841 Shoreditch, Middlesex, England census, where he was born in 1811. I don't see any William Blackbeard b: 1811 there.

William Booth
in the 1841 England Census
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1811
Where born: Middlesex, England
Civil Parish: St Leonard Shoreditch
Hundred: Ossulstone (Tower Division)
County/Island: Middlesex
Street Address:
View image
Registration District: Shoreditch
Sub-registration District: Holywell and Moorfields
Neighbors:
Piece: 706
Folio: 38
Page Number: 20
Household Members:
Name Age
William Branch 35
Mary Branch 20
Cratha Branch 5
Mary Branch 3
John Davey 50
Sarah Davey 45
John Brooks 30
Martin Brooks 15
Amelia Brooks 8
Mary Ann Brooks 6
Susania Brooks 5
Martha Brooks 35
Mat West 45
Mary West 50
Charlot West 15
Mary West 15
William Booth 30
I didn't look at the RI military records, just the Find a grave memorial, which has Stephen-1825 in the infantry. I didn't look into the Capt. S. Booth poster that Saragouzou mentioned.
07-03-2021, 04:43 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2021 04:49 AM by Steve.)
From the description of the poster, it sounds more like a Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) recruitment poster, not anything printed during the Civil War itself. The GAR was a fraternal group of Union veterans of the war, like the present-day VFW. GAR officers were elected and their ranks don't have any correspondence to members military ranks during the war.

But I haven't seen the poster, so I can only guess by the description. But the poster said that Booth was living in Mass., but he was living in and enlisted in the Army in Rhode Island.
07-03-2021, 05:41 AM
Many thanks to Steve Whitlock for sending this. Steve writes, "Here are the bastardy statements of Sarah Blackbeard in 1812 & 1813 naming Junius Brutus Booth as the father of William Blackbeard."

[Image: blackbeard3.jpg]

[Image: blackbeard4.jpg]
07-03-2021, 05:46 AM
Many thanks to Steve Williams for sending this. Steve writes, "It's the obituary of Stephen Booth from page 8 of the 22 Dec. 1908 edition from the Boston Globe.

[Image: boothobituary.jpg]
07-03-2021, 08:15 AM
Thank you to both Roger Norton and Steve Williams for their assistance.