Ed Steers' Article in Time
04-15-2021, 02:59 PM
Ed Steers' Article in Time
Kudos to one of our members, Ed Steers, on his article in Time.

https://time.com/5954962/abraham-lincoln...l-revision
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2021, 06:30 AM
RE: Ed Steers' Article in Time
A great honor for Dr. Steers! And words so needed and fitly spoken.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-16-2021, 09:14 AM
(04-16-2021 06:30 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  A great honor for Dr. Steers! And words so needed and fitly spoken.

Dr. Steers wrote: "Historical revision in itself is not bad, but it must be based on facts. Truth, after all, is the stock-in-trade of all historians. Lincoln said it best: 'History is not history unless it is the truth.'"

The paragraph is succinct, needed, and fitly spoken.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
04-16-2021, 01:49 PM
I think that was a great, thoughtful, well-written opinion piece by Ed. I'm really interested in checking out his new book.
08-10-2021, 12:44 AM
(04-16-2021 01:49 PM)Steve Wrote:  I think that was a great, thoughtful, well-written opinion piece by Ed. I'm really interested in checking out his new book.
Steve,

As you read "Getting Right With Lincoln" I should point out something. On pgs 14-19 there is a discussion of Nancy Hanks Lincoln and issues for her heritage. On pg 15 and pg 19 there is reference to: The Nancy Hanks Lincoln MTDNA Study at Genetic Lincoln.

On pg 19 Mr Steers correctly points out that the Study, which included testing sisters Naomi (Shipley) Mitchell and Rachel (Shipley ) Berry, proves there is no genetic relationship for them to Nancy Hanks (because there is no relation to her mother, Lucy (Hanks) Sparrow, who is NOT Lucy Shipley).

On the pg 15 reference to the NHL Study, Mr Steers says "We now know from mitochondrial dna analysis (mtdna) that Nancy Hanks was the daughter of Lucy Hanks, as historians believed".

Yes, Nancy Hanks was the daughter of Lucy Hanks, but the mtdna study alone doesn't prove that. A paper trail is required. Abraham Lincoln provides that paper trail, along with Dennis Hanks, and others. It's a small thing, to be sure, but genealogists know that the Y-dna and mtdna matches only prove common ancestors, and more is necessary to prove parentage. Autosomal dna (atdna) is better in that regard, if the matches are within 4-5 generations.

Not commonly known is that there are about 6 more X1c matches for the NHL Study; however, research for those lines does not prove who the common ancestors are, and they have no paper trail to Nancy Hanks. At some point they might reveal the distribution of the X1c haplogroup and mtdna results for the maternal line of Abraham Lincoln. One of the matches was even in Richmond Co., VA, but the common ancestor may be back in the British Isles.

This post is not meant to criticize the brilliant writing of Mr Steers, merely to point out that more is required than a dna match to establish lines. I am writing this solely for myself, and it has no connection to the NHL Study, or Genetic Lincoln, so if anyone has a complaint it should be directed to me.
09-19-2021, 02:04 PM
Interesting comments Steve. Thank you for posting.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user