New Series CNN Lincon:Divided We Stand FEB 14
02-11-2021, 04:47 PM
New Series CNN Lincon:Divided We Stand FEB 14
SUNDAY FEB 14

10 PM ET/PT

A CNN ORIGINAL SERIES

LINCOLN: DIVIDED WE STAND is a six-part CNN Original Series that takes a holistic approach to the remarkable and unexpected story of Abraham Lincoln by delving into his complicated inner world, seamlessly interweaving his tragic personal life with his history making political career. Through a mix of expert interviews, cinematic recreations, rare artifacts, and never before broadcast photos and letters, LINCOLN: DIVIDED WE STAND will take viewers on a transcendent journey into the life and times of this iconic U.S. president.

Go here to see preview.

https://cnncreativemarketing.com/project/lincoln
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2021, 04:50 AM
RE: New Series CNN Lincon:Divided We Stand FEB 14
Hi everyone.

I tried to watch a replay of the series, but here in France, the access is blocked from watching due to the stupid EU regulations. Could anyone send me a copy of the episodes please?
02-12-2021, 08:59 AM
(02-12-2021 04:50 AM)Mylye2222 Wrote:  I tried to watch a replay of the series,

Once the series is over I shall check the Internet, and if the videos are available on a website (CNN, YouTube, etc.), I shall post the link.
02-12-2021, 04:20 PM
(02-12-2021 08:59 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  

Once the series is over I shall check the Internet, and if the videos are available on a website (CNN, YouTube, etc.), I shall post the link.

Thank you very much. Those regulations are such annoying... Big Grin
02-13-2021, 08:28 AM
Thank you Roger- I will try and watch the series that way if possible.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-14-2021, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2021 06:51 PM by Gencor.)
(02-11-2021 04:47 PM)Anita Wrote:  SUNDAY FEB 14

10 PM ET/PT

A CNN ORIGINAL SERIES

LINCOLN: DIVIDED WE STAND is a six-part CNN Original Series that takes a holistic approach to the remarkable and unexpected story of Abraham Lincoln by delving into his complicated inner world, seamlessly interweaving his tragic personal life with his history making political career. Through a mix of expert interviews, cinematic recreations, rare artifacts, and never before broadcast photos and letters, LINCOLN: DIVIDED WE STAND will take viewers on a transcendent journey into the life and times of this iconic U.S. president.

Go here to see preview.

https://cnncreativemarketing.com/project/lincoln

Does anyone know where they used sources from? I would be interested to know. There are so many people here they could have talked to. I can't wait to see the series and to see how they present this.

(02-12-2021 08:59 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  

Thanks, Roger. I plan to watch the series. I will be interested to know what sources they used to do the series.
02-15-2021, 04:02 PM
IMO, Part One of the series was excellent. I felt the producers were quite fair in their analysis of Lincoln, and dealt with some topics many books "overlook." For example, they noted that Lincoln was an ardent supporter of colonization. My high school textbook definitely did not include that information.
02-15-2021, 04:51 PM
(02-15-2021 04:02 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  IMO, Part One of the series was excellent. I felt the producers were quite fair in their analysis of Lincoln, and dealt with some topics many books "overlook." For example, they noted that Lincoln was an ardent supporter of colonization. My high school textbook definitely did not include that information.

In my opinion, President Lincoln accurately predicted a future without significant colonization of former slaves. The Northern States did not want a mass migration of millions of former slaves to the North to compete for scarce resources and the Southern States would have found the equality of former slaves to white society at all levels to be unacceptable.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
02-15-2021, 06:59 PM
I agree with Roger's assessment of Part One. IMO the issue of repatriation of the slaves was incomplete but may be addressed later in the series.

Here's an excerpt from an updated article " We asked six historians from CNN's new Original Series "Lincoln: Divided We Stand" to share the myths they've seen persist about Abraham Lincoln, and what they wish more Americans understood about this monumental president." Read what they had to say here.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/14/opinions/...index.html
03-01-2021, 11:20 AM
Near the very end of last night's episode it was said that the number of soldiers who died during the Civil War was 800,000. The textbook I used in my classroom used 600,000 as the total number of deaths. Does anyone know if the estimated Civil War death total has been revised upward over the years?
03-01-2021, 02:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2021 02:47 PM by Anita.)
Roger, this is from a New York Times article.
For 110 years, the numbers stood as gospel: 618,222 men died in the Civil War, 360,222 from the North and 258,000 from the South — by far the greatest toll of any war in American history.
But new research shows that the numbers were far too low.
By combing through newly digitized census data from the 19th century, J. David Hacker, a demographic historian from Binghamton University in New York, has recalculated the death toll and increased it by more than 20 percent — to 750,000.

Go here to read about the recalculation. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/scien...~:text=For 110 years%2C the numbers,numbers were far too low.
03-01-2021, 03:27 PM
Thanks, Anita. That is a fascinating article.
03-01-2021, 11:40 PM
I am loving this series and very glad that CNN has decided to do this. I hope that the kids are watching this series because they can learn a lot, that they may not otherwise get in the classroom. I have been curious to know what everyone thinks about the series and how it is being presented. They spent over 2 years doing research for this project and I believe this is one of the best presentations that has been produced. I can't wait to see the rest of it.
03-02-2021, 08:21 AM
I thought it was interesting that CNN is using Catherine Clinton as the Mary Lincoln expert. In the past, most shows I've seen have used Jean Baker for her Mary expertise. IMO, it's nice to hear a different voice.
03-02-2021, 12:12 PM
(03-01-2021 02:47 PM)Anita Wrote:  Roger, this is from a New York Times article.
For 110 years, the numbers stood as gospel: 618,222 men died in the Civil War, 360,222 from the North and 258,000 from the South — by far the greatest toll of any war in American history.
But new research shows that the numbers were far too low.
By combing through newly digitized census data from the 19th century, J. David Hacker, a demographic historian from Binghamton University in New York, has recalculated the death toll and increased it by more than 20 percent — to 750,000.

Go here to read about the recalculation. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/scien...~:text=For 110 years%2C the numbers,numbers were far too low.

Quote from the article:

With all the uncertainties, Dr. Hacker said, the data suggested that 650,000 to 850,000 men died as a result of the war; he chose the midpoint as his estimate.

He emphasized that his methodology was far from perfect. “Part of me thinks it is just a curiosity,” he said of the new estimate.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch