Lincoln's homeowner's insurance on the Springfield home
09-01-2013, 08:51 AM
RE: Lincoln's homeowner's insurance on the Springfield home
(09-01-2013 08:31 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Roger, I'm just reading "The trials of Mrs. Lincoln" by Samuel Schreiner. He writes:
"Like her husband before her, Mary Lincoln, though surrounded by lawyers and demonstrably concerned about her financial situation, died intestate...She had evidently scrapped the will that Judge Bradwell had drawn for her before Robert brought her to trial, and she had to have known that she was leaving everything to Robert by not making another will."
So this is wrong?

As for the homeowner's policy, isn't that obligatory? Here it is. But maybe it wasn't in those days.

Eva, Jason Emerson writes that Mary amended her will several times, including after her estrangement from Robert in 1875. Myra Pritchard, James Bradwell's granddaughter, wrote that her grandfather didn't reveal the will because "it would have brought on another clash with Robert Lincoln." I don't know what was in there, but I am sure it wasn't kind to Robert.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2013, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2013 05:46 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
May I ask - where did Jason Emerson write about this?
09-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Eva, Jason's research regarding Mary's will is on pp. 135-138 of his book entitled The Madness of Mary Lincoln.
09-02-2013, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 05:34 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Thanks, Roger!