Some Trivial Info
10-20-2012, 01:26 PM
RE: Some Trivial Info
(10-20-2012 01:06 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Do I detect a Creole background there, Joe?

Sicilian--also known for great cuisine. It is just that New Orleans is my second favorite US city and I love the food. Also, everywhere I have traveled in the south, I have loved the local cooking. You must have had a lot of water under that propane tank; crayfish are bottom feeders. I suppose this fact doesn't make them sound edible either!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2012, 01:41 PM
We have two Joes with Southern cooking tastebuds. I was questioning Joe Beckert because of his comments, but I enjoyed learning your Sicilian background, Joe Di Cola. My daughter used to date a young man who was half Sicilian and half Puerto Rican. What a combination! Her father is half Italian and half Russian - another interesting combination...
10-20-2012, 02:18 PM
(10-20-2012 01:41 PM)L Verge Wrote:  We have two Joes with Southern cooking tastebuds. I was questioning Joe Beckert because of his comments, but I enjoyed learning your Sicilian background, Joe Di Cola. My daughter used to date a young man who was half Sicilian and half Puerto Rican. What a combination! Her father is half Italian and half Russian - another interesting combination...

Some combinmations = rage without reason! HA!
10-20-2012, 05:15 PM
No Creole here, Laurie. Just a misplaced Yankee that loves Cajun cookin'.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
10-20-2012, 07:05 PM
I have no knowledge of whether or not Lincoln ate head cheese. However, he loved Mock Turtle Soup, and the thought of it makes me gag.
My computer has crashed, and I have limited internet access these days, but I must comment that one of my favorite 19th century cookbooks is THE GOOD HOUSEKEEPER. In it is a comment from the editor regarding eating the breast of a robin. She stated that anyone who would kill and eat such a wonderful song bird should have the bird placed around his neck like the albatroos in Coleridge's THE RIME OF THE ANCIENT MARINER. She then preceeds to explain how to cook the bird.
And . . no . . I shall never try eating robin red breast.
08-07-2014, 06:02 AM
My daughter sent this recipe for Mary Lincoln's white cake:

http://farmflavor.com/mary-todd-lincolns-white-cake/
08-07-2014, 11:46 PM
Woo hoo...that looks delicious!! You better believe I am going to try that recipe asap-thanks Roger!!Tongue
08-08-2014, 05:17 AM
I just wrote a brief email to my daughter and told her what you said. She will be thrilled! Thanks, Toia. Please let us know how it turns out!

Shameless plug - my daughter's website is here.
08-08-2014, 11:44 AM
I've saved it to my desktop Favorites...thanks Roger!
08-08-2014, 12:16 PM
The table top Mason Jar Lanterns are a cute idea.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-08-2014, 07:38 PM
(08-07-2014 11:46 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Woo hoo...that looks delicious!! You better believe I am going to try that recipe asap-thanks Roger!!Tongue
Please post a picture if possible (I'm curious if it will look the same...)
08-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Eva, it is so horrific hot and humid now here in Southern Calif that I am not doing any baking. But as soon as it cools off in a month or so this is the first cake I will bake...I will definitely keep you all posted.

Doesn't it look scrumptious?