Reignette, Congratulations!!
11-04-2018, 01:36 PM
Reignette, Congratulations!!
I am overjoyed to let the forum know that Reignette Chilton's publisher will release her book about Abraham Lincoln's greatcoat in February of 2019. It's called Lincoln's Greatcoat: The Unlikely Odyssey of a Presidential Relic.

Congratulations, Reignette!!

"Brooks Brothers crafted Abraham Lincoln’s greatcoat in honor of the president’s second inauguration. The coat’s wool was “finer than cashmere” and its silk-embroidered lining read, “One Country, One Destiny.” Lincoln was wearing the garment when he was assassinated on April 14, 1865. After her husband’s death, Mrs. Lincoln gave the greatcoat to a faithful White House doorkeeper. More than a century after her bequest, the coat was returned to Ford’s Theatre, but not before it underwent a mysterious and exciting journey. This book recounts that journey as a reminder of the 16th president and his call to “bind up wounds” and care for others."

https://mcfarlandbooks.com/product/lincolns-greatcoat/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2018, 02:02 PM
RE: Reignette, Congratulations!!
(11-04-2018 01:36 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I am overjoyed to let the forum know that Reignette Chilton's publisher will release her book about Abraham Lincoln's greatcoat in February of 2019. It's called Lincoln's Greatcoat: The Unlikely Odyssey of a Presidential Relic.

Congratulations, Reignette!!

"Brooks Brothers crafted Abraham Lincoln’s greatcoat in honor of the president’s second inauguration. The coat’s wool was “finer than cashmere” and its silk-embroidered lining read, “One Country, One Destiny.” Lincoln was wearing the garment when he was assassinated on April 14, 1865. After her husband’s death, Mrs. Lincoln gave the greatcoat to a faithful White House doorkeeper. More than a century after her bequest, the coat was returned to Ford’s Theatre, but not before it underwent a mysterious and exciting journey. This book recounts that journey as a reminder of the 16th president and his call to “bind up wounds” and care for others."

https://mcfarlandbooks.com/product/lincolns-greatcoat/

We will be selling Reignette's book at Surratt House - details to follow. I have also invited her to be a signer at the Authors' Hour during the 2019 Surratt conference.
11-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Congratulations, Reignette!
11-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Congrats - wonderful news, Reignette!
11-04-2018, 10:03 PM
Congratulations, can't wait to read it!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2018, 02:02 PM
Congratulations! This sounds like an interesting story!

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
11-06-2018, 03:41 PM
Congratulations! I can't wait to read it!!!!!!!!

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
11-06-2018, 06:25 PM
(11-05-2018 02:02 PM)Angela Wrote:  This sounds like an interesting story!

Angela, I guarantee it is!
11-07-2018, 07:19 AM
Great job! Congrats!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Adding my congrats Reignette. Your subject has excited my curiosity. Looking forward to this read.
11-07-2018, 06:19 PM
I've always thought those black overcoats look much better than the zip-up type jackets we lean to use these days (and which I admit to wearing at times and acknowledge serve a purpose getting from car to a nearby location even if they do leave the legs freezing) ... I predict a return to their warm and fashionable use.

Having said all that, congrats Reignette ! for adding to the world's knowledge and memories of a great man.
11-07-2018, 11:16 PM
Thanks for your encouraging words. I owe a BIG thanks to this forum and its members, particularly Roger, who kindly reviewed my chapter about Lincoln's fatal night, and Laurie, who graciously published a couple of my articles in the Surratt Courier.
01-19-2019, 08:15 PM
My publisher will release my book about Lincoln's Greatcoat on May 19 (instead of February 20). By all accounts, I'll have to take a raincheck for the "author's hour" at the Surratt Conference in early April. Thanks, Laurie, for the invitation. Perhaps 2020!
01-19-2019, 10:10 PM
(01-19-2019 08:15 PM)ReignetteC Wrote:  My publisher will release my book about Lincoln's Greatcoat on May 19 (instead of February 20). By all accounts, I'll have to take a raincheck for the "author's hour" at the Surratt Conference in early April. Thanks, Laurie, for the invitation. Perhaps 2020!

Sorry to hear that, but definitely in 2020. Tell the publishers they are missing a good sales opportunity.
03-26-2019, 11:13 PM
Reviewing my manuscript for last-minute corrections before it goes to press has been an exhausting yet exciting task. I've put so much research into my tome (more than 500 notes) because I wanted to ensure its historical accuracy. Thus as I give my manuscript another glance, I am stuck on a few salient points. As the experts on this forum are the ultimate source, will you please allow me to ask the following questions:

1. How many blocks was Ford's Theatre from the White House in 1865? (Was it eight?)
2. Booth and Herold arrived at Dr. Mudd's house during the early morning hours. Yet is it accurate to note that their stay was a "one-night respite?"
3. During Lincoln's second inauguration, his Bible was opened to the book of Isaiah, verses 27-28?
4. For Laurie: I cite the Surratt Courier as "the Surratt Courier" and not The Surratt Courier?

Thanks so much for your expertise. I am grateful (and tired)!