The Lincoln Image
06-23-2018, 12:49 PM
The Lincoln Image
The Lincoln Image
Abraham Lincoln and the Popular Print
by Harold Holzer, Gabor S Boritt, and Mark R Neely Jr.
copyright 2001, about 210 pages of text, plus intro and index.
Nicely illustrated

"Focusing on prints produced in Lincoln' lifetime and in the iconographically important months immediately following his death, this lavishly illustrated volume pairs original photographs and photographs with the prints made from them. ....the juxtaposition reveals how the printmakers reworked the original images to refine Lincoln's appearance, substituting his image for those of earlier politicians or adding a beard to images of him that originally appeared clean shaven."
(from the book cover)

The focus is on the prints made following Lincoln's nomination, since hardly anyone knew what he looked like, the time of the emancipation proclamation, and his death.

"In truth, however, prints had not really succeeded in capturing Abraham Lincoln in the endless variety of moods his contemporaries described in their written reminiscences; no medium had. The 'flexible face' of which Schuylar Colfax wrote and which artist of the period later admitted they found so difficult to portray remained - and still remains - an enigma. His photographs do not show the real Lincoln, and neither do his paintings or sculpture from life. At best, each medium succeeded in capturing only a part of the living man: photographs, the frozen expression required by the primitive camera; the fine arts, the formal, rigid dignity dictated by artistic convention; and print portraits, the Lincoln "for the people" - more active, more romanticized, more colorful than in any other medium, though also necessarily far less accurate. None had completely captured the man whom observers found at once homely and captivating."

"In a sense, though, the print makers had not failed. They had introduced Lincoln to millions of Americans; made his unconventional appearance palatable; helped create an image for him of honesty, patriotism, and strength; chronicled his changing appearance as he headed for the White House; commemorated his war and his decision to emancipate the slaves; and ultimately provided a visual accompaniment to an emerging folklore. The Lincoln they helped chisel into
America's increasingly pictorial consciousness was inseparable from the nation he helped preserve." (page 215-216)

I enjoy and appreciate the book more after reading it and looking back at the illustrations, than I did while in the process of reading it.
For me, it became more enjoyable to read when I got a little over half way through.

I purchased a new, softbound copy, it is much less new expensive than a hardback copy
https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Image-ABR...737&sr=8-1

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2018, 08:52 AM
RE: The Lincoln Image
His “unconventional appearance”—I like that. We have all commented on his physical features. Even Lincoln make fun of his own looks. But is that what the description refers to? I wonder. Was there something else that made Lincoln’s appearance for that day and age “unconventional?”
To me unconventional would more refer to manner of dress or even hairstyle. Thoughts?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-24-2018, 09:03 AM
His method of walking was "different." William Herndon described Lincoln's walk as follows:

"When he walked he moved cautiously but firmly; his long arms and giant hands swung down by his side. He walked with even tread, the inner sides of his feet being parallel. He put the whole foot flat down on the ground at once, not landing on the heel. He likewise lifted his foot all at once, not rising from the toe, and hence he had no spring to his walk. His walk was undulatory-catching and pocketing tire, weariness, and pain, all up and down his person, and thus preventing them from locating. The first impression of a stranger, or a man who did not observe closely, was that his walk implied shrewdness and cunning-that he was a tricky man; but, in reality, it was the walk of caution and firmness."
06-24-2018, 05:17 PM
Good point Roger. I’m sure people who observed him noted his walking as unconventional.
I still don’t think his walk accounts for the description. We all basically acknowledge he wasn’t the handsomest man we ever saw-but was he really all that different looking than his contemporaries?

Bill Nash
06-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Regarding his unconventional walking -

During the winter of the great snow, his feet were frozen. This may have had caused some long term foot problems when he became older.
I've heard different versions of the story quoted below.

"During the famous "deep snow" winter of 1830-1831, still remembered even 100 years later, Lincoln's feet were badly frozen while crossing the Sangamon River. He was marooned for weeks in the cabin belong to the Warnick family. Mrs. Warnick treated Lincoln by putting his feet in the snow, "to take out the frost-bite"
http://doctorzebra.com/prez/g16.htm

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
06-25-2018, 04:58 AM
Very interesting, Gene. In addition to the treatment with snow that Dr. Sotos mentioned, Mrs. Warnick also treated Lincoln's frozen feet by reportedly rubbing them in a concoction of "goose grease, skunk oil, and rabbit fat."

Tom Emery wrote an interesting article on the deep snow, and he mentioned Mrs. Warnick and Lincoln's feet. Please see the bottom of this page:

http://boonecountyjournal.com/news/2016/...-29-16.pdf
06-25-2018, 11:45 AM
(06-24-2018 08:52 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  His “unconventional appearance”—I like that. We have all commented on his physical features. Even Lincoln make fun of his own looks. But is that what the description refers to? I wonder. Was there something else that made Lincoln’s appearance for that day and age “unconventional?”
To me unconventional would more refer to manner of dress or even hairstyle. Thoughts?

What about his size...his height was rather uncommon in the day. Though I also agree on the facial features and the way he walked as others mentioned.

In case of emergency, Lincoln and children first.
06-26-2018, 06:12 AM
I’d forgotten about the frost-bite episode. If he had the most severe form which requires amputation—his history might have been quite different—and ours.

Bill Nash
06-27-2018, 06:17 AM
Yes, his height was uncommon for his day. He was 6’4” tall. The average height for a male back then was 5’ 5” tall.

Bill Nash
06-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Has there ever been any mention that Lincoln may have been flat-footed? That often causes an awkward walk and is also very painful.
06-27-2018, 01:59 PM
William Herndon wrote, "Lincoln had large hands and feet — foot flat."

Here is Michael Burlingame's explanation:

"Burlingame also said a simple explanation for Lincoln's flat-footed walk was that was how farmers walked behind plows."

http://www.postbulletin.com/study-abraha...892cf.html
06-28-2018, 06:41 AM
I didn’t know Lincoln had flat feet. That would further explain his walk.

Bill Nash