08-02-2019, 03:53 PM
RE: Just Trivia
Lynne is my wealth
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2019, 08:22 PM
(08-02-2019 03:53 PM)Wild Bill Wrote:  Lynne is my wealth

Knowing Lynne for lo these many years, you are absolutely right and very lucky to have her. A great lady with a lot of patience...!
09-16-2019, 01:41 PM
Since it's a slow day here in Lincoln Discussion Symposium land, here is a fairly simple trivia question

L Verge wrote this...

BoothieBarn Retweet of Donation to ALPLM
"Dave Taylor has posted this retweet regarding the donation of a cane to the collection at the ALPLM. Hopefully, this will allow you to see the cane as well as read the provenance:

Thanks to Robert and Sherry Holt of Jefferson City, MO, for donating this cane! It belonged to Horatio Nelson Taft, whose young children often played with Willie and Tad Lincoln. An older Taft son, a doctor, helped treat #AbrahamLincoln after he was shot."

What were the names of those young children (there were three) who often played with Willie and Tad ?
Bonus points for the name of the older Taft son who was a doctor.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-16-2019, 02:06 PM
Bonus answer: Dr. Charles Sabin Taft
09-16-2019, 02:10 PM
The names were Horatio Nelson Taft, Jr. ("Bud") and Halsey Cook Taft ("Holly").

[Image: budholly1.jpg]

The boys' older sister was Julia Taft. She is the author of Tad Lincoln's Father.
09-16-2019, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2019 06:00 PM by Gene C.)
Congratulations Roger, for a slow day you got that pretty fast.

As the creator, host and moderator for the Lincoln Discussion Symposium, as your prize you may select any item in the Lincoln Discussion Symposium Gift Catalog and just charge it on the Symposium credit card.

And now for "A little piece of "fake trivia".... well maybe.
Go West, young man" is a phrase, the origin of which is often credited to the American author and newspaper editor Horace Greeley concerning America's expansion westward, related to the then-popular concept of Manifest Destiny. No one has yet proven who first used this phrase in print. (from Wikippedia)

Mary Lincoln, who was not a big fan of Horace, was worried that her boys would follow Mr. Greeley's advice. When her husband was offered the governorship in 1849 of the Oregon Territory she flatly insisted that Mr. Lincoln turn it down. She was worried her boys would grow up to be cowboys.
This is alleged to be her favorite song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RePtDvh4Yq4

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-16-2019, 06:04 PM
Ummmm, Gene, the Symposium Credit Card is maxed out. See, I bought this cake the other day...

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
09-16-2019, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2019 09:17 PM by Steve.)
(09-16-2019 05:44 PM)Gene C Wrote:  And now for "A little piece of "fake trivia".... well maybe.
Go West, young man" is a phrase, the origin of which is often credited to the American author and newspaper editor Horace Greeley concerning America's expansion westward, related to the then-popular concept of Manifest Destiny. No one has yet proven who first used this phrase in print. (from Wikippedia)

From the August 25, 1838 edition of The New-Yorker published by Horace Greeley:

“If any young man is about to commence the world, we say to him, publicly and privately, Go to the West”

https://www.llrx.com/2007/12/who-said-go...nks-myths/
11-19-2019, 07:50 AM
Abraham Lincoln enjoyed magic shows. One time a magician presented his show on the grounds of the Soldiers' Home. Tad was with the President, and the magician walked up to Tad and took something out of Tad's mouth. What did the magician produce from Tad's mouth?
11-19-2019, 12:03 PM
I remember a story about a magician pulling an egg out of Tad's mouth but can remember the magician's name.
11-19-2019, 01:45 PM
Kudos, Anita!! That is correct. The magician was a man named Senor Blitz, and Blitz was later invited to the White House itself.

My source: The Lincoln Herald, Spring 2018, p. 1.
11-19-2019, 08:22 PM
(11-19-2019 01:45 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Kudos, Anita!! That is correct. The magician was a man named Senor Blitz, and Blitz was later invited to the White House itself.

My source: The Lincoln Herald, Spring 2018, p. 1.

My memory is failing fast, but I think the Surratt Courier had an article on another "magician" who performed a rope escape trick for Mr. Lincoln and Senor Blitz was mentioned in that. Sometime this past year?
11-19-2019, 09:11 PM
Laurie, you may be thinking of Horatio Green Cooke?

https://www.historynet.com/lincolns-magician.htm

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
11-20-2019, 08:22 PM
(11-19-2019 09:11 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  Laurie, you may be thinking of Horatio Green Cooke?

https://www.historynet.com/lincolns-magician.htm

That is exactly the person I was thinking of, and I may have read about him in Waller's recent book on Lincoln's Spies - not in our Courier. Thank you, kind sir.

P.S. There was a wonderful short clip on the news here in D.C. last night about the wildfires in Australia and a brave young woman who went into the flames to rescue an injured koala. Bravo to people like that.

Personally, I think koalas are just as precious as pandas (and D.C. bid farewell to Bei Bei at the National Zoo yesterday when he departed for China and its breeding programs). Kinda sad after four years of watching him from birth to his final meal here.
12-21-2020, 01:42 PM
No googling please.

Who noted the following?

"Mr. Lincoln ate heartily but not to excess; he was particularly fond of certain things, especially apples, and Mrs. Lincoln always had a sufficiency of this fruit chosen carefully and ready at hand."