Extra Credit Questions
10-26-2012, 08:41 PM
RE: Extra Credit Questions
I'm reading an article about Zachariah Chandler in the January/February 1994 Michigan History Magazine written by Maria Quinlan Leiby. It says this about him:

"A sociable man, he enjoyed a good party or a game of whist."

A game of what???

Trivia question: What is a "game of whist?"

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2012, 10:05 PM
Bill,

It is a type of card game. However, I confess that I have never played it or even know the rules. I believe that It was played a lot in Europe.

Craig
Find all posts by this user
10-26-2012, 10:10 PM
A card game? Makes sense. Old Zac enjoyed playing cards. When I was in the army-that's all we did in the barracks- a games called "spades." Never heard of whist.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-27-2012, 08:01 AM
(10-23-2012 06:42 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Well, everyone-I made a visit to the U.S. Grant house in Detroit. It sits boarded up on the now defunct Michigan State Fair grounds. It was sad to it the neglect. The public is not allowed inside the grounds so I had to take a couple of pictures from outside the fence at the rear of the house. How sad that this historical legacy is left to crumble. See: http://abesblogcabin.org/a-sad-visit-by-...in-detroit

Bill,
Sounds like the house should be moved to Greenfield Village.
10-28-2012, 06:04 PM
(10-26-2012 10:10 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  A card game? Makes sense. Old Zac enjoyed playing cards. When I was in the army-that's all we did in the barracks- a games called "spades." Never heard of whist.

Bill,
We played spades in the Marines also, especially out in the field. it must be the thing to do for bored U.S. military folks.

Craig
11-07-2012, 06:05 AM
What was the name of the photographer who took this picture?

[Image: abraham19.jpg]
11-07-2012, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2012 06:34 AM by J. Beckert.)
The beard is starting, so it had to be in Springfield. Why is Elsler or something like that in my head? Good morning, Roger! (Your website clock is off. It's 5:30 here)

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
11-07-2012, 06:53 AM
You win, Joe. Close enough. It was a gent named Samuel G. Alschuler.

Many of this program's controls are still all Greek to me; I wonder if the time change last weekend threw things off. I'll see if there is a time setting that needs adjusting. My computer says I asked the question at 5:05 A.M. and you replied at 5:32 A.M.
11-09-2012, 11:52 AM
To show the depth in which Lincoln's life has been scrutinized, a person once wrote a 400+ page book on something that is missing. What am I talking about and who is the author?
11-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Lincoln's Lost Speech by Elwell Crissey ??

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
11-09-2012, 12:20 PM
You win, Gene! Kudos from Honey and Jip.
11-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Here is a photo of the Lincoln home in 1860. What is the name of the blurry little boy standing on the sidewalk below the corner pillar of the fence?

[Image: lincolnhomeboy.jpg]
11-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Diller?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
11-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Well, Joe, for a newly-retired gentleman you can still move plenty fast. The question lasted less than 10 minutes. Isaac Diller was a playmate of the Lincoln boys.

According to Dorothy Meserve Kunhardt's article in Life magazine (February 15, 1954) Isaac Diller knew Fido, too.
11-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Who is the man kneeling?

[Image: mysteryhumanbeing.jpg]