Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2017, 06:30 PM
RE: Extra Credit Questions
Nope, not Ward Lamon, Bill.
Find all posts by this user
07-01-2017, 06:45 PM
It's Lincoln bodyguard William H. Crook. I've seen the quote mentioned in discussions over the reliability of Crook's testimony about what the other bodyguard, John Parker's responsibilities were supposed to be on the day Lincoln was assassinated.
07-01-2017, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2017 08:04 PM by J. Beckert.)
I'll guess Charles Forbes.
He just looks like he'd fit the bill....

[Image: lincoln+guard&client=ms-android-...VKquaZRvXM]

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-02-2017, 05:05 AM
Nope, not Charles Forbes, Joe. Kudos to Steve. It is William H. Crook. I came across the quote in the current edition of The Journal of the Lincoln Assassination. Included in this edition is an article about William H. Crook which emphasizes his untrustworthiness as a source. The topic of Crook's unreliability has been discussed previously on this forum. O'Brien's quote is in relation to Crook's claim that he was a member of the Lincoln party in Richmond at the end of the war. Both O'Brien and Crook worked together in the Cleveland administration. O'Brien was using Francis Burke (coachman) as a source; Burke said Crook was not a member of the Lincoln party that traveled to Richmond.
07-12-2017, 11:53 AM
We're going to move into the "future" for this one: Most of us are familiar with General John J. Pershing and his role in the Spanish American War, and most of us know that he had the nickname of "Black Jack." But, how many of us know where that nickname came from?
07-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Pershing was given the name Black Jack because he served with the 10th calvery, an all Black unit prior to the Spanish American war and later went on to command the 10th in the war I believe. Native Amricans called them buffalo soldiers because they thought that black hair resembled buffalo.
07-12-2017, 02:05 PM
(07-12-2017 12:38 PM)Anita Wrote:  Pershing was given the name Black Jack because he served with the 10th calvery, an all Black unit prior to the Spanish American war and later went on to command the 10th in the war I believe. Native Amricans called them buffalo soldiers because they thought that black hair resembled buffalo.

Quick response and absolutely correct! I picked up that info from a blurb that was sent us from a Buffalo Soldier re-enactor, who will be a speaker at Surratt House next May.
07-13-2017, 01:54 PM
The article here includes this sentence:

"One woman, Mary Boykin, claimed Lincoln was "grotesque in appearance, the kind who are always at the corner stores, sitting on boxes, whittling sticks, and telling stories as funny as they are vulgar."

However, this is incorrect as Mary was actually recording what another woman said.

What was the other woman's name?
07-13-2017, 03:37 PM
(07-13-2017 01:54 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  The article here includes this sentence:

"One woman, Mary Boykin, claimed Lincoln was "grotesque in appearance, the kind who are always at the corner stores, sitting on boxes, whittling sticks, and telling stories as funny as they are vulgar."

However, this is incorrect as Mary was actually recording what another woman said.

In the hotel parlor we had a scene. Mrs. Scott was describing Lincoln, who is of the cleverest Yankee type. She said: “Awfully ugly, even grotesque in appearance, the kind who are always at the corner stores, sitting on boxes, whittling sticks, and telling stories as funny as they are vulgar.” Here I interposed: “But Stephen A. Douglas said one day to Mr. Chesnut, ‘Lincoln is the hardest fellow to handle I have ever encountered yet.’ ” Mr. Scott is from California, and said Lincoln is “an utter American specimen, coarse, rouge, and strong; a good-natured, kind creature; as pleasant-tempered as he is clever, and if this country can be joked and laughed out of its rights he is the kind-hearted fellow to do it. Now if there is a war and it pinches the Yankee pocket instead of filling it – “

This is the quote from her diary. Mr. and Mrs. Scott are from California, so I'm guessing they might be politicians? Anyone know more particulars about the Mrs. Scott who ridiculed Lincoln?
07-13-2017, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 04:08 PM by Steve.)
(07-13-2017 03:37 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 01:54 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  The article here includes this sentence:

In the hotel parlor we had a scene. Mrs. Scott was describing Lincoln, who is of the cleverest Yankee type. She said: “Awfully ugly, even grotesque in appearance, the kind who are always at the corner stores, sitting on boxes, whittling sticks, and telling stories as funny as they are vulgar.” Here I interposed: “But Stephen A. Douglas said one day to Mr. Chesnut, ‘Lincoln is the hardest fellow to handle I have ever encountered yet.’ ” Mr. Scott is from California, and said Lincoln is “an utter American specimen, coarse, rouge, and strong; a good-natured, kind creature; as pleasant-tempered as he is clever, and if this country can be joked and laughed out of its rights he is the kind-hearted fellow to do it. Now if there is a war and it pinches the Yankee pocket instead of filling it – “

This is the quote from her diary. Mr. and Mrs. Scott are from California, so I'm guessing they might be politicians? Anyone know more particulars about the Mrs. Scott who ridiculed Lincoln?

The Mr. Scott in Mary's diary in Charles Lewis Scott, a former Congressman from California who had resigned his seat in Congress and later joined the Confederate Army. Scott was originally from Virginia but moved to California during the Gold Rush.

His wife was Harriet Willisson Scott

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg...d=45265926
07-13-2017, 05:38 PM
Kudos, Laurie and Scott. Mrs. Scott is the answer. And thanks to Steve for finding out the information on Mrs. Scott.
07-13-2017, 07:22 PM
Steve - How close do you live to Surratt House? I would love to have you as one of our volunteer guides!
07-14-2017, 06:58 PM
One of Mr. Lincoln's officers was known as "The Christian General." Who was it?