Extra Credit Questions
10-01-2012, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 11:01 AM by Rob Wick.)
RE: Extra Credit Questions
I knew picking up those tourist brochures in Kentucky would pay off someday.

As for the prize, Roger, I think I'll pass. The short time I spent in Marion (as a reporter, not an inmate) was enough to make me never want to go back. 25 years later and that smell is still in my nose.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2012, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2012 02:05 PM by RJNorton.)
There is a story about the youthful Abraham Lincoln helping a girl spell a word. One day the teacher was having a spelling contest. The girl got the first three letters of the word right; then she was stuck. With the teacher apparently not looking, Abraham helped her out. She looked at him as he grinned and pointed to his eye. The girl then said the fourth letter of the word right (i) and proceeded to spell the word correctly.

What was the word?
10-01-2012, 03:10 PM
"Defied," according to David Herbert Donald.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Kudos, Bill. Very good. I have currently run out of prizes, so I will send you the same amount of cash I sent Rob.
10-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Like the old song says: "Nothing from nothing leaves nothing." Smile

Bill Nash
10-02-2012, 05:40 AM
When I was in third or fourth grade my teacher read this little story to the class. It may well be apocryphal; I do not know. It's in a few books I have. The story is about a prank the mischievous Abraham Lincoln pulled when he was maybe 10 or 11 years old. He and another person did something to the ceiling of the Lincolns' cabin. What did they do?
10-02-2012, 06:27 AM
They created mud human footprints on the ceiling-making it appear that someone had walked across upside down! I think Sandburg mentions this story too.

Bill Nash
10-02-2012, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 06:53 AM by RJNorton.)
That's it, Bill. Very good. I've read two versions...in one his "accomplice" is his sister, in the other, it's a friend.
10-02-2012, 07:06 AM
I hadn't about the sister connection before. Thanks Roger. Smile

Bill Nash
10-02-2012, 07:17 AM
Yes, I think "a friend" is a much more common version. But I know I read one time that his sister was involved. If I can find it, I will post where it was.
10-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Abraham Lincoln gave two speeches in Rhode Island. What two cities were these speeches in?
10-03-2012, 09:52 AM
According to the Lincoln Log, he was in Providence on February 28, 1860, but I don't see anything mentioned about a second city.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
10-03-2012, 10:21 AM
One down, one to go, Rob.
10-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Hint #1: The building where Lincoln spoke still stands.
10-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Took a while, but I finally found it. Woonsocket in Harris Hall.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg