Extra Credit Questions
07-19-2013, 07:20 AM
RE: Extra Credit Questions
Isn't that almost the same? (I have always thought it's huckleberry in AE and blueberry in BE?)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-19-2013, 08:55 AM
I believe the difference (at least when I grew up) is that huckleberries grow wild and are smaller than blueberries, which are cultivated. The roadsides in Southern Maryland were covered with huckleberries when I was a child, and one could stop on the non-shoulders and pick them. Now, thanks to the winter chemicals that are spread in abundance when the first snowflake falls, we have nary a huckleberry and spend outrageous prices for blueberries at the market.

The wild abundance of other berries like strawberries and blackberries growing on their own along roadsides, in old cemeteries, etc. has also largely disappeared. If Booth and Herold had planned their trip through Southern Maryland a few months later, they could have feasted off Mother Nature.
07-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Who is this gentleman?

[Image: crct.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
07-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Wild guess - Patrick Martin?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-20-2013, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2013 08:48 PM by Rob Wick.)
Sorry Joe. Good guess, but that's not it.

Best
Rob

First clue:

He was born in 1836 in New York, but is better known as an Illinoisan.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
07-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Second clue:

He knew Lincoln, Tarbell and most likely Sandburg.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
07-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Third clue:

At one point, Sandburg was his paper boy.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
07-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Clark Ezra Carr?
07-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Can't get one past you Roger. That is Carr. I was also going to have a clue that at one point William McKinley was supposed to have held a cabinet meeting in Carr's home. Good job!

Since I spent all the prize budget for ink and paper (and succeeded in printing out over 350 letters that I forgot I had printed out earlier), there is no prize this time. Sad

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
07-22-2013, 10:03 AM
A city in the state of New York was getting ready to greet Abraham Lincoln's inaugural train. To salute the train a cannon was placed next to the tracks. However, it was placed too close to the tracks. The concussion from the cannon fire shattered windows in the first car of the train. The concussion also burst in the door and tore off the lock. Several people were covered with broken glass, but no one was hurt.

Where in New York did this incident take place?
07-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Hint #1: It's east of Syracuse.
07-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Hint #1.5: It's east of Utica.
07-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Since I suppose Albany would be too easy I'll guess Rome.
07-22-2013, 05:01 PM
Albany?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-22-2013, 05:03 PM
You are close, Eva and Joe.

Hint #1.75: This city's name ends with a "y."