Extra Credit Questions
07-24-2012, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2012 06:35 PM by RJNorton.)
RE: Extra Credit Questions
Laurie, it was 6 in all. (corrected in next post)

Hint #3: Lincoln was in Harpers Ferry, WV, on October 1, 1862, on his way to see McClellan at Antietam. West Virginia did not actually become a state until June 20, 1863, but I am counting the Harpers Ferry visit as being in West Virginia.

Hint #4: The one where I thought I would get a debate was Tennessee. Lincoln made flatboat trips down the Mississippi River to New Orleans in 1828 and 1831, and I think it can be logically assumed he stepped ashore on the Tennessee banks during both those trips.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Laurie, I miscounted. The correct number is 7.
07-24-2012, 07:24 PM
FL, GA, NC, SC, ME, VT, AR???
07-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Change Arkansas to Alabama

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-25-2012, 05:06 AM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2012 05:35 AM by RJNorton.)
You folks both win. Kudos.

The 7 states are Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama, Vermont, and Maine.

I had to look closely at Vermont because that is where Hildene is. In 1864 Mary, Robert, and Tad visited Manchester and stayed in the Equinox Hotel. But Abraham was not with them, and I could find no evidence he ever set foot in Vermont.

Regarding the still-standing Equinox Hotel, "Many times her (Mary Lincoln's) spirit's been seen by guests at the hotel and employees. Many say it's Mary and one of her sons. Whispers have also been heard by some."

Click here.
07-25-2012, 06:10 AM
(07-25-2012 05:06 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  You folks both win. Kudos.

The 7 states are Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama, Vermont, and Maine.

I had to look closely at Vermont because that is where Hildene is. In 1864 Mary, Robert, and Tad visited Manchester and stayed in the Equinox Hotel. But Abraham was not with them, and I could find no evidence he ever set foot in Vermont.

Regarding the still-standing Equinox Hotel, "Many times her (Mary Lincoln's) spirit's been seen by guests at the hotel and employees. Many say it's Mary and one of her sons. Whispers have also been heard by some."

Click here.

Neat Ghost story, Roger! Never heard of this one -- OR of the Equinox Hotel....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-25-2012, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2012 08:46 AM by RJNorton.)
Unfortunately over the years the story has led to accounts that can be "off."

"One of the most popular stories of the Equinox Hotel surrounds the 16th President of the United States, Abraham Lincoln and his family. In the year of 1865, Lincoln’s wife, who was named Mary Todd Lincoln, decided to visit the hotel in Vermont because of the fact that the summers in Washington D.C were extremely hot and uncomfortable. When she set pace for the beautiful Equinox, she brought along the children that she and the President shared. Unfortunately, disaster struck and affected the family. Abraham Lincoln was assassinated and it hindered the family’s plans to return to Washington D.C."

Source: Here.
07-25-2012, 10:23 AM
The Equinox is beautiful and RTL frequented it also after he moved there. I'd heard Lincoln had plans to go with Mary in the summer of 1865, but the assassination occurred.

My wife stayed there several years ago in the Mary Todd Lincoln room and said it was fantastic. No sightings or whispers, though.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Well, Joe, as you near retirement, I was looking for a gift. Now I have an idea. The next trivia question of mine which you answer correctly will result in a gift of a ghost-free night for you and wife in the Mary Todd Lincoln room of the Equinox.
07-25-2012, 03:06 PM
I'll go myself if you don't mind. Hit me with the question!

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Who lived here?

[Image: thisissomebodyshouse.jpg]
07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Dennis Hanks

07-25-2012, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2012 04:44 PM by RJNorton.)
Certainly a good guess but incorrect.
07-25-2012, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2012 04:55 PM by RJNorton.)
Hint #1: The source I used to obtain the picture is a book written by a member of our forum here. The person has posted but never in the Trivia category; if the person does see this, I politely request that he or she kindly not post the answer.
07-25-2012, 05:04 PM
O.K. - that narrows it down. I'll guess Thomas Goodrich lived there. Did I win yet?