New Lucy Lambert Hale pic? (picture heavy)
09-21-2012, 12:13 AM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 12:20 AM by Jenny.)
New Lucy Lambert Hale pic? (picture heavy)
I've only seen three pictures of Lucy Lambert Hale Chandler before; the one found on Wilkes' body, a full length one of "Lucy" posed in a beautiful dress, and a picture of an older Lucy. (Well, there is that really fuzzy one that is supposed to be Lucy reading to her sister, Lizzie, but I can't really make out facial details so I'm not counting it.)

Since then, it was determined that the full length picture of "Lucy Hale" is actually a picture of Harriet Lane, President Buchanan's niece.

Originally thought to be Lucy Hale:
[Image: harriet_zps87c5d2c5.jpg]
Harriet Lane (in same dress with same hairstyle and same backdrop):
[Image: harrietlane_zpsd2ffa508.jpg]
[Image: harrietlane2_zps38ef95e6.jpg]

I think that's definitely Harriet and not Lucy without a shadow of a doubt! So that leaves us with only two pictures of the real Lucy.

Famous Lucy image found on JWB's body:
[Image: Lucy_Hale_zps1a8603d2.jpg]

Older Lucy (not sure when this was taken):
[Image: lucyolder_zpsdf4d839c.jpg]

However I was cruising around a genealogical site (geni.com) and actually found a picture said to be Lucy Lambert Hale Chandler that I'd never seen before now. Definitely another one taken later in life if that is indeed Lucy.

[Image: lucyhale_zps1097e2f2.jpg]

Neat picture, whoever it is! I love the little dog with her! What do you think about this? Lucy? Someone else? Can't tell?

Linked to Lucy in this particular family tree was, of course, her sister Lizzie. I'd never seen a clear picture of Lizze at all so I had to share and see what y'all think!

Elizabeth/Lizzie:
[Image: lizzie_large_zps81888c26.jpg]

"Lizzie" looks very similar in the face when you compare her picture to the known portrait of "older" Lucy posted at the top to me!

Just thought I'd share what I found and see what everyone thinks about these "new" pictures! (Perhaps they aren't new at all to anyone but me!) Tongue

While I'm at it, I must ask: does anyone have a picture of Lucy's signature or handwriting? I am helping a friend do some research on Lucy Hale, and she would love to see her handwriting.

I know there was that poem sold at auction in 1952 supposedly written by Lucy and JWB but I don't think there is a picture of the actual paper.

[Image: johnlucypoem_zpsa5dbc27c.jpg]

Interesting stuff! And it came with a picture of JWB "in costume?" I wonder where it ended up...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-21-2012, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 05:50 AM by RJNorton.)
RE: New Lucy Lambert Hale pic? (picture heavy)
Hi Jenny. Here is an image of the handwriting you talked about:

[Image: handwriting.jpg]

I scanned the image from p. 332 of Carl Sandburg's The War Years, Vol 4. He gives no source, but he cites the Barrett collection in a previous image from a hotel register page; thus I am guessing Sandburg's image is from the Barrett collection.
09-21-2012, 05:54 AM
(09-21-2012 12:13 AM)Jenny Wrote:  I've only seen three pictures of Lucy Lambert Hale Chandler before; the one found on Wilkes' body, a full length one of "Lucy" posed in a beautiful dress, and a picture of an older Lucy. (Well, there is that really fuzzy one that is supposed to be Lucy reading to her sister, Lizzie, but I can't really make out facial details so I'm not counting it.)

Since then, it was determined that the full length picture of "Lucy Hale" is actually a picture of Harriet Lane, President Buchanan's niece.

Originally thought to be Lucy Hale:
[Image: harriet_zps87c5d2c5.jpg]
Harriet Lane (in same dress with same hairstyle and same backdrop):
[Image: harrietlane_zpsd2ffa508.jpg]
[Image: harrietlane2_zps38ef95e6.jpg]

I think that's definitely Harriet and not Lucy without a shadow of a doubt! So that leaves us with only two pictures of the real Lucy.

Famous Lucy image found on JWB's body:
[Image: Lucy_Hale_zps1a8603d2.jpg]

Older Lucy (not sure when this was taken):
[Image: lucyolder_zpsdf4d839c.jpg]

However I was cruising around a genealogical site (geni.com) and actually found a picture said to be Lucy Lambert Hale Chandler that I'd never seen before now. Definitely another one taken later in life if that is indeed Lucy.

[Image: lucyhale_zps1097e2f2.jpg]

Neat picture, whoever it is! I love the little dog with her! What do you think about this? Lucy? Someone else? Can't tell?

Linked to Lucy in this particular family tree was, of course, her sister Lizzie. I'd never seen a clear picture of Lizze at all so I had to share and see what y'all think!

Elizabeth/Lizzie:
[Image: lizzie_large_zps81888c26.jpg]

"Lizzie" looks very similar in the face when you compare her picture to the known portrait of "older" Lucy posted at the top to me!

Just thought I'd share what I found and see what everyone thinks about these "new" pictures! (Perhaps they aren't new at all to anyone but me!) Tongue

While I'm at it, I must ask: does anyone have a picture of Lucy's signature or handwriting? I am helping a friend do some research on Lucy Hale, and she would love to see her handwriting.

I know there was that poem sold at auction in 1952 supposedly written by Lucy and JWB but I don't think there is a picture of the actual paper.

[Image: johnlucypoem_zpsa5dbc27c.jpg]

Interesting stuff! And it came with a picture of JWB "in costume?" I wonder where it ended up...

Jenny -- I own a book which was owned by Lucy Lambert Hale Chandler. It has her signature on the flyleaf. I'll scan that in and post it here....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-21-2012, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 09:17 AM by Gene C.)
My personal favorite is the one of her and the cute little dog.

Fido

PS. did we ever decide wheather it was Lucy or her mother in the portrait?

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
09-21-2012, 09:09 AM
The painted portrait is of her mother, more or less. It was painted, I think, in the 40's so that would make it her mother - also named Lucy....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-21-2012, 10:30 AM
Roger, you are my hero for coming up with the image of that poem! Big Grin Thank you! I should have known you would have it! Wink

Betty, that's awesome! I'd love to see her signature! What book is it? I think I saw you mention it somewhere else; is the book itself is in a different language? And yes, agree completely that the painting is "Mama Lucy" due to the hair and clothing style.

Hope you all enjoy the pictures!
09-21-2012, 10:32 AM
(09-21-2012 04:56 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Hi Jenny. Here is an image of the handwriting you talked about:

[Image: handwriting.jpg]

I scanned the image from p. 332 of Carl Sandburg's The War Years, Vol 4. He gives no source, but he cites the Barrett collection in a previous image from a hotel register page; thus I am guessing Sandburg's image is from the Barrett collection.

The verse written below the one being discussed is from a poem by John Greenleaf Whittier ("For of all sad words...").
09-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Fascinating, Joe! Thank you for the info on the verse! I think I read something about it in either Manhunt or American Brutus but my mind didn't retain the specifics (as usual, hehe).
09-21-2012, 10:38 AM
(09-21-2012 10:30 AM)Jenny Wrote:  Roger, you are my hero for coming up with the image of that poem! Big Grin Thank you! I should have known you would have it! Wink

Betty, that's awesome! I'd love to see her signature! What book is it? I think I saw you mention it somewhere else; is the book itself is in a different language? And yes, agree completely that the painting is "Mama Lucy" due to the hair and clothing style.

Hope you all enjoy the pictures!

Jenny -

The book is an old novel that I picked up years ago at an antique show - and since it had her name inscribed in it, I bought it for next to nothing! It was from her personal library. It's an old Italian novel - but it's in English -

I'll scan that in tonight and post it for you!

09-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Wow, Betty, you lucky lady!! I'm jealous! Wink
09-21-2012, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2012 11:10 AM by BettyO.)
No problem, Jenny! It's an old yellow backed novel circa 1880s entitled The Lotus or something like that..... I've never read it and don't intend to! HA!

09-22-2012, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2012 01:15 PM by BettyO.)
Here are the signatures of Lucy Lambert Hale Chandler which I own:

[Image: lucylamberthalechandler.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

09-22-2012, 01:22 PM
THANK YOU, Betty!!! Those are great! I really appreciate you taking the time to share! Smile
09-22-2012, 01:27 PM
No problem, Jenny! I've had this old book for years and bought it for a song....

09-22-2012, 01:41 PM
I once tried to buy something for a song, and they insisted afterward that I owed them money. (Ba dum dum).

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg