Theodore Roosevelt's words on Lincoln
02-09-2013, 10:34 AM
RE: Theodore Roosevelt's words on Lincoln
Theodore Roosevelt gave a speech in 1910 called "The Man in the Arena." I read it every so often for inspiration. I've often wondered if he had Lincoln in mind when he wrote it. Here is a portion of it:

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2014, 12:29 PM
Historian Michael Beschloss has a short article in the New York Times about Theodore Roosevelt witnessing Abraham Lincoln’s funeral procession in New York.
Find all posts by this user
05-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Thanks Roger. Beschloff writes interesting books. I just finished his "Presidential Greatness" a few months ago.
05-23-2014, 08:38 AM
I imagine seeing the Lincoln funeral procession by TR must have been like us "older folks" who remember watching the Kennedy procession on TV. It's something never forgotten.

Bill Nash
05-23-2014, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 09:37 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
Bill, I was three years old then and I still have memories of it(the JFK assassination and State Funeral).

Even as a child, it haunted me for years.
05-24-2014, 10:59 AM
Quote:I imagine seeing the Lincoln funeral procession by TR must have been like us "older folks" who remember watching the Kennedy procession on TV. It's something never forgotten.

I was 9 years old when Kennedy was assassinated and remember it all quite well - and yes, I remember seeing Oswald get shot by Ruby; seeing the funeral procession on TV, etc. Always a horse-lover, I remember seeing "Black Jack" the riderless horse, with the boots reversed in the stirrups; seeing Jackie in that flowing, wind-swept black veil and watching as little "John-John" saluted his father's casket. Heartbreaking -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
05-24-2014, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2014 05:23 PM by HerbS.)
I was a sophomore in college when the news hit.I was on my way to a psychology exam.Everything was cancelled that terrible weekend.He was on our campus the week before.Thus,after shaking his hand,I made it a point to shake-Robert's and Ted's before I died.Mission completed 2yrs ago.

Mission competed before Ted died.-Herb
05-24-2014, 05:39 PM
Herb: you continue to amaze us!

Bill Nash
05-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Wow HerbS...I am speechless!
05-24-2014, 06:35 PM
(05-24-2014 05:39 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Herb: you continue to amaze us!

(05-24-2014 06:17 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  Wow HerbS...I am speechless!

Herb, I totally agree with Bill and Toia. You probably think I have forgotten another wonderful story you shared with the forum almost two years ago. Well, I haven't. Click Here.

Kudos, Herb!
05-24-2014, 08:10 PM
It is people like Herb who keep the true American spirit - and, most importantly, American HISTORY alive.
05-25-2014, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2014 10:11 AM by HerbS.)
I also shook hands with Bill Clinton before Monica.I would like to attend Waterloo,NY's Memorial day parade tomorrow,if time permits!

Thanks for the kind words everbody.Waterloo's Celebration is on the actual date of the first Memorial Day Clebration[Big Extravaganza].As I remember,the first President to shake my hand was-Harry Truman from the back of a train.He was on a"Whistestop Tour".When the train stopped in Rochester,NY my grandfather took me up to shake his hand.I was really-"moved"-when Kate Larson-introduced me to Harriet Tubman's ancestor in Auburn,NY.
05-25-2014, 01:50 PM
Harriet Tubman has been an inspiration to me ever since I read a book about her when I was nine! She was a fascinating woman with the courage of a lion!
05-26-2014, 08:58 AM
Where is Harriet Tubman buried?

Bill Nash
05-26-2014, 09:14 AM
Harriet Tubman is buried in Fort Hill Cemetery in Auburn, New York, the same cemetery where the Seward family is buried. I visited her grave last August. It was surrounded by flowers and a U.S. flag.

I have a photo which I will ask Roger to post.

[Image: tubmangrave.jpg]