Diamond Broach Given By Lincoln
07-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Diamond Broach Given By Lincoln
Recently, during my research for my book, I came across a document stating that the great granddaughter of Nicholas Brewer ("Trails of a Paint Brush") was in possession of a broach given to Nicholas Brewer, while he was staying at Canonchet, in Rhode Island, visiting with the Sprague's. It seems that Brewer had painted a portrait of Portia, Kate Chase's youngest daughter, while she was there visiting and to pay him for the portrait, Portia gave Brewer a broach that she told him was given to her mother, on her wedding day, from Lincoln. It is a rose shaped, hand painted black enamel broach encrusted with diamonds. It seems that the great granddaughter could have placed this piece in a museum but I cannot find out which one. It seems it was a museum with a lot of Lincoln memorabilia and I was wondering if any of you might have heard about it or may have even come across it. If you might know or have any information on this, I would so appreciate your help. It would help me with the research I am doing for my book. I have the name of the granddaughter and it seems that if the piece was passed on or even auctioned, it would have been around 1933 thru maybe 1938.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2017, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2017 07:36 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Diamond Broach Given By Lincoln
One of my favorite books over the past few years is John Oller's American Queen (Kate Chase). I'm sure that you have read it also and found only a mention of Brewer painting Portia's portrait, but no mention of the broach.

This is a wild stab, however: In his epilogue, Oller mentions that the mansion Canochet no longer exists, but that a South County Museum is part of the land where it once stood in Narragansett. It's doubtful that Brewer's kin would have given it to this institution (and doubtful that they have a sizable Lincoln collection), but they might have some knowledge of where the broach might be.

Portia was the one Sprague daughter who made peace with her father and even went back to live at Canochet, despite the prison-like existence he had created for the girls and their mother in that mansion.

Please keep us updated on the progress of your book. John Oller made me change my opinion of Kate nearly 100%. I recommend his book and (ever the salesman) have to mention that remaining copies of it are on sale currently at Surratt House Museum for just $10 plus $3 shipping.

While poking around for info on Lincoln's wedding gift to Kate, I found this report about her 1863 wedding:

http://www.nytimes.com/1863/11/15/news/t...dents.html

I'm trying to figure out how nearly 600 guests could fit into even a mansion... My daughter's wedding reception was held in a mansion, and with just 250 guests, it was a tight squeeze - even with the seated dinner being served outside on a large veranda. Those Victorians (with money) really knew how to party!
07-23-2017, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 07-23-2017 07:11 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Mary invited 500 to the Springfield home (I vaguely seem to recall not all attended due to bad weather?):

07-23-2017, 11:04 AM
(07-23-2017 07:11 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Mary invited 500 to the Springfield home (I vaguely seem to recall not all attended due to bad weather?):

I questioned that also when I first read it years ago. They must have had a system that allowed such a thing. Remember that even the White House could not hold all the revelers who showed up for Andrew Jackson's reception after the inauguration. Refreshments were moved to the lawn, and Andy eventually escaped and spent the night elsewhere, according to what I have read.

On the matter of the broach: To me, the giving of jewelry during the Victorian age was a very personal thing and not something that anyone other than a family member or fiance would give to a young lady, even as a wedding gift. And, wedding gifts were/are generally given to the couple. Would Lincoln have breached etiquette, especially in a situation where his wife intensely disliked the bride and where the bride's father was definitely after Lincoln's job?
07-23-2017, 01:43 PM
(07-23-2017 07:11 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Mary invited 500 to the Springfield home (I vaguely seem to recall not all attended due to bad weather?):

(07-23-2017 11:04 AM)L Verge Wrote:  I questioned that also when I first read it years ago.

You both have excellent memories. It looks like weather held the number to 300.
07-30-2017, 01:52 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2017 02:10 AM by Gencor.)
(07-22-2017 07:11 PM)L Verge Wrote:  One of my favorite books over the past few years is John Oller's American Queen (Kate Chase). I'm sure that you have read it also and found only a mention of Brewer painting Portia's portrait, but no mention of the broach.

This is a wild stab, however: In his epilogue, Oller mentions that the mansion Canochet no longer exists, but that a South County Museum is part of the land where it once stood in Narragansett. It's doubtful that Brewer's kin would have given it to this institution (and doubtful that they have a sizable Lincoln collection), but they might have some knowledge of where the broach might be.

Portia was the one Sprague daughter who made peace with her father and even went back to live at Canochet, despite the prison-like existence he had created for the girls and their mother in that mansion.

Please keep us updated on the progress of your book. John Oller made me change my opinion of Kate nearly 100%. I recommend his book and (ever the salesman) have to mention that remaining copies of it are on sale currently at Surratt House Museum for just $10 plus $3 shipping.

While poking around for info on Lincoln's wedding gift to Kate, I found this report about her 1863 wedding:

http://www.nytimes.com/1863/11/15/news/t...dents.html

I'm trying to figure out how nearly 600 guests could fit into even a mansion... My daughter's wedding reception was held in a mansion, and with just 250 guests, it was a tight squeeze - even with the seated dinner being served outside on a large veranda. Those Victorians (with money) really knew how to party!

I have found a document that states that Brewer's great granddaughter was putting the broach up for auction in Canada and that it was possible that it found its way to a museum. Never said what actually happened to the broach, however. It gave a detailed description. Interesting because Sprague never bought Kate jewelry and what pieces she did have, she purchased herself. The only piece Sprague gave Kate was the tiara, before they married, that she wore at her wedding. Lincoln did attend Kate's wedding, however Mrs. Lincoln did not. It was reported that Kate received a large and very expensive collection of wedding gifts. But I am on the hunt for the broach. As you know, I have read the Oller book, and just about every book in existence on Kate, most of them repetitious. This is not going to be that kind of book. Most of the books written about Kate, were Sprague and Chase's story, with Kate being in the supportive role, however, she did have her own story to tell,
separate of those two men and that is the story I am working on. It is going on three years of research for me, most of what I have learned has never been told about Kate or written about her. The broach is a curiosity piece for me, as I am aware that gifts like this were not given in those days, that is what makes this even more curious. Thank you for your suggestion, Laurie, about the museum near Canonchet. I had actually checked there first. I knew that they didn't have much on this subject but they didn't know about the broach either. As for the 600 guests. The house on 6th Street was a huge three story, brick mansion with a sizable back yard garden. Kate was such a stickler for details, it could be that the guests overflowed into the back garden and around the grounds. Anyway, I am still on the hunt, will keep you posted.

(07-23-2017 11:04 AM)L Verge Wrote:  

I questioned that also when I first read it years ago. They must have had a system that allowed such a thing. Remember that even the White House could not hold all the revelers who showed up for Andrew Jackson's reception after the inauguration. Refreshments were moved to the lawn, and Andy eventually escaped and spent the night elsewhere, according to what I have read.

On the matter of the broach: To me, the giving of jewelry during the Victorian age was a very personal thing and not something that anyone other than a family member or fiance would give to a young lady, even as a wedding gift. And, wedding gifts were/are generally given to the couple. Would Lincoln have breached etiquette, especially in a situation where his wife intensely disliked the bride and where the bride's father was definitely after Lincoln's job?

Lincoln would not have considered Chase his enemy, not at that time. Lincoln made an appearance at the wedding, without Mrs. Lincoln, so I believe that Lincoln didn't take Mrs. Lincoln's competition with Kate that seriously. However, Lincoln was both a a very smart man and politician and he knew that not making an appearance would have given unnecessary importance to both rivalries and the gossip would have been never ending. As for the wedding gift, we have only Portia's word to Mr. Brewer.
08-28-2017, 04:43 PM
(07-30-2017 01:52 AM)Gencor Wrote:  Lincoln did attend Kate's wedding, however Mrs. Lincoln did not.

Kudos to Laurie on her article about the wedding in the current Surratt Courier. Although Mary Lincoln did not attend, nearly all the Cabinet members did.
08-28-2017, 05:22 PM
(08-28-2017 04:43 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(07-30-2017 01:52 AM)Gencor Wrote:  Lincoln did attend Kate's wedding, however Mrs. Lincoln did not.

Kudos to Laurie on her article about the wedding in the current Surratt Courier. Although Mary Lincoln did not attend, nearly all the Cabinet members did.

I would have loved to read her article. Did she post it here, Roger????
08-28-2017, 06:10 PM
(08-28-2017 05:22 PM)Gencor Wrote:  I would have loved to read her article. Did she post it here, Roger????

Hi Genna. No, it's not online. For information on how to receive it please go here.
08-28-2017, 08:41 PM
(08-28-2017 05:22 PM)Gencor Wrote:  

Send me your snail address at laurie.verge@pgparks.com and I will be glad to put a complimentary copy in the USPS.
08-28-2017, 09:05 PM
(08-28-2017 08:41 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(08-28-2017 05:22 PM)Gencor Wrote:  

Send me your snail address at laurie.verge@pgparks.com and I will be glad to put a complimentary copy in the USPS.

Thanks Laurie, I sent you a PM and will e-mail you.