American Pickers tonight showed a photo album of the Booth family
07-18-2017, 12:30 AM
American Pickers tonight showed a photo album of the Booth family
Tonight's (07/17/17) episode of American Pickers on the History Channel showed them at a pick where the owner had a Booth family picture album containing quite a few pictures of the Booth family including Edwin with daughter and a young looking John Wilkes. There was also a picture that was marked as the mother of Edwin and John Wilkes.

The owner was not selling. He indicated he had picked it up for $10 at an antique mart.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-2017, 11:36 AM
RE: American Pickers tonight showed a photo album of the Booth family
Wow, that's amazing! Do you remember if there were any pictures of Booth's sister, Rosalie? Does the show have a site where you can see the pictures online?

Also, I don't have cable and have never heard of the show, so what exactly is a "pick"? I would've guessed an auction or flea market but you said the owners didn't want to sell the album.
07-18-2017, 12:14 PM
For some reason, that photo album rings a distant bell in my head. We may have learned about it years ago, but I don't recall that it was actually shared with us.

The History Channel has "strayed" off course over the years (IMO), so I am usually wary about anything they now produce. I went online and the July 17 episode was evidently mainly about comic books? I tried getting the video to run, but couldn't -- even youtube announced that it had been taken down. Very curious, but would love to see that album.
07-21-2017, 05:16 AM
I had it saved on my DVR. Watching it again to see where they were.

A pick is a location where someone has accumulated items, sometimes themed and sometimes very eclectic. The show is based on two individuals, called pickers, who scour the back roads looking for stuff they can by off collectors (sometimes pretty much junk men). They then will usually resell in their shops.

It looks like northern Alabama (Decatur). The individuals at the pick location were the father, Stephen, and his daughter, Robin. The show does not provide last names. The photo album is covered about 17 minutes (including commercials) into the show. Steve indicated he would most likely just pass it down his family line. Perhaps if approached appropriately, maybe he would allow usage of images since he allowed some to be shown on TV?

I wonder if those pictures made it to Pinterest since Pinterest shows a photo of John Wilkes Booth's mother which the show indicated might be the only picture of her. Actually, the picture on the show was a different image than the image on Pinterest for their mother.

Steve obtained the "Booth Family Photo Album" in a box of books at an antique sale/flea market. It was included in a box of books unbeknownst to him until he looked through it later. The flea market was in Gardendale near Birmingham. The whole box was $10. There seems to be quite a bit of pictures included but they only showed like four of them clearly with identification, two of Edwin with daughter, one of John Wilkes, and one of their mother. The book was leather bound with two metal locking clasps.

The episode looks like it requires you to login with your cable provider info in order to view the episode. I did not find any other info yet regarding the photo album on the American Pickers site.

I won't delete the episode from the DVR for the time being. Perhaps I will try to get some photos of the TV images showing some of the pictures/book. That might be some time in the future.
07-21-2017, 09:04 AM
Wonder if that was a scrapbook that some Boothophile put together after the assassination.
07-21-2017, 09:56 AM
(07-21-2017 05:16 AM)Jim Woodall Wrote:  I had it saved on my DVR. Watching it again to see where they were.

A pick is a location where someone has accumulated items, sometimes themed and sometimes very eclectic. The show is based on two individuals, called pickers, who scour the back roads looking for stuff they can by off collectors (sometimes pretty much junk men). They then will usually resell in their shops.

It looks like northern Alabama (Decatur). The individuals at the pick location were the father, Stephen, and his daughter, Robin. The show does not provide last names. The photo album is covered about 17 minutes (including commercials) into the show. Steve indicated he would most likely just pass it down his family line. Perhaps if approached appropriately, maybe he would allow usage of images since he allowed some to be shown on TV?

I wonder if those pictures made it to Pinterest since Pinterest shows a photo of John Wilkes Booth's mother which the show indicated might be the only picture of her. Actually, the picture on the show was a different image than the image on Pinterest for their mother.

Steve obtained the "Booth Family Photo Album" in a box of books at an antique sale/flea market. It was included in a box of books unbeknownst to him until he looked through it later. The flea market was in Gardendale near Birmingham. The whole box was $10. There seems to be quite a bit of pictures included but they only showed like four of them clearly with identification, two of Edwin with daughter, one of John Wilkes, and one of their mother. The book was leather bound with two metal locking clasps.

The episode looks like it requires you to login with your cable provider info in order to view the episode. I did not find any other info yet regarding the photo album on the American Pickers site.

I won't delete the episode from the DVR for the time being. Perhaps I will try to get some photos of the TV images showing some of the pictures/book. That might be some time in the future.

Thanks for the additional info, Jim. Even the State of Alabama rings a bell with me in connection with this album, but I am stymied as to why I am remembering mention of this item. Hopefully, it will come to me -- and I'll call everyone at 2 am some morning...
07-21-2017, 04:12 PM
(07-21-2017 05:16 AM)Jim Woodall Wrote:  I had it saved on my DVR. Watching it again to see where they were.

Thanks for the info. That interesting about picks, you learn something everyday. Unfortunately, I don't have a cable provider but maybe they'll syndicate the show on over-the-air television in a few years and I'll be able to see the episode.