"Six Encounters With Lincoln"
02-09-2017, 01:12 AM
"Six Encounters With Lincoln"
SIX ENCOUNTERS WITH LINCOLN
A President Confronts Democracy and Its Demons
By Elizabeth Brown Pryor

"At a moment when questions about the efficacy of democracy are on everyone’s lips, this book eerily reflects some of today’s key issues. Among them are the military’s part in domestic policy; the protections appropriate to noncitizens (in Lincoln’s case, Native Americans); the limits of female citizenship; the meaning of free speech; and states’ rights to contravene personal liberty."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/06/books...pe=article

Elizabeth Brown Pryor won the Lincoln Prize for her book, Reading the Man: A Portrait of Robert E. Lee through his Private Letters.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2017, 06:55 AM
RE: "Six Encounters With Lincoln"
My wife brought this book home from the library yesterday and will be reading it. I looked at it briefly. It's one of those books that I am tempted to read the endnotes first - they go on for 70+ pages. From the link Linda posted I knew that the book was published posthumously, but I did not know until yesterday what had happened. It's very sad to read how the author died as described by her sister who wrote the foreword. Elizabeth Brown Pryor was killed in her car when she was rear-ended by a manic-depressive driver who was going 107 miles per hour. She died instantly. This happened in 2015 in Richmond, Virginia.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply