A simple one
07-08-2012, 11:17 AM
A simple one
Here's a simple question.

Lincoln was the only president to do what?

Best
Rob
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2012, 11:22 AM
RE: A simple one
Suspend the Writ of Habeas Corpus.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Sorry Joe, that's not it.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
07-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Obtain a patent.
07-08-2012, 11:59 AM
That is correct, Laurie.

Bonus point if you can tell me what the patent was for.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
07-08-2012, 12:49 PM
It had something to do with lifting riverboats over shoals??? That is the absolute sum total of my knowledge on engineering.
07-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Correct. There is a model of his invention (which was never developed beyond the model stage) in one of the houses surrounding his Springfield home.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
07-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Kill vampires? Oh wait, Laurie got it.
07-09-2012, 07:35 PM
(07-08-2012 12:51 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Correct. There is a model of his invention (which was never developed beyond the model stage) in one of the houses surrounding his Springfield home.

Best
Rob

Ronald White in his book A. Lincoln includes a sketch of this device. Lincoln came up with the idea in 1848 after his tour of New England on behalf of Zachary Taylor. On the way back to Illinois he was a passenger on a boat that stuck fast to a sandbar.

Craig
09-02-2012, 05:34 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 05:35 AM by RJNorton.)
I think this is a pretty easy one so I thought I'd use Rob's "A Simple One" category. The picture below is of a man named Jacob Haas. He was taken into custody three times between April 14 and April 26, 1865.

Why?

[Image: James+Haas.jpg]
09-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Was he arrested because he somewhat resembled Booth? As he has a moustache, a LOT of unfortunate Victorian men must have been arrested because they "resembled" JWB!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-02-2012, 08:53 AM
You are exactly right, Betty. On several occasions angry mobs formed, and he was taken into custody. Each time he would prove to authorities he was not JWB. Upon his release, he would move on with his life only to have the same thing happen again.
09-02-2012, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2012 09:06 AM by BettyO.)
One word, Roger -- SHAVE!! Big Grin

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
09-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Terry Alford sent me a newspaper article about a Catholic priest who narrowly escaped arrest because he looked like Booth. When I get space, I will highlight it in the Surratt Courier.
09-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Another easy one.

Who did this and why is it remembered?

Best
Rob

[Image: statuea.jpg]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg