Where Is It?
12-08-2019, 10:34 AM
RE: Where Is It?
(12-08-2019 07:43 AM)Gene C Wrote:  I can't recall where I read that Mary Lincoln would visit the soldiers in the hospitals, and frequently sending fruit, food and flowers from the White House. I wonder if any letters she wrote on behalf of wounded soldiers to their families still exist?

Gene, I do not know if any still exist physically, but here is the text of one:

Dear Mrs. Agen: I am sitting by the side of your soldier boy. He has been quite sick, but is getting well. He tells me to say to you that he is all right. With respect for the mother of the young soldier, Mrs. Abraham Lincoln

https://www.lincolncottage.org/women-of-the-civil-war/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2020, 01:42 PM
Although I'm not sure one will find it, try to figure this out without using Google.

What event happened here that involved Lincoln?

[Image: o8Kok2N.jpg?1]

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
01-24-2020, 03:22 PM
Is this a dwelling at Walker's Grove where James Metzger was killed?
01-24-2020, 06:28 PM
Noah Gordon's gristmill where Lincoln was kicked by a horse?

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
01-24-2020, 07:50 PM
You're close enough, Mike. That's actually Noah Gordon's house near the mill. I scanned that from a book thinking I would have to give a number of clues before anyone got it. Good job!

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
01-24-2020, 08:51 PM
That was fast! How'd you do that Mike?
01-25-2020, 06:42 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2020 06:46 AM by AussieMick.)
I was also thinking of the time that he was saved from drowning, but that doesnt really have a building associated. I knew it had to be very old and probably linked to his childhood.... where else could it be ( well, I couldnt think of anywhere else).
Plus it has uncomfortable associations for me ... I was on a TV quiz programme here answering questions about Lincoln ... and I got the answer wrong by jumping in too quickly , thinking I was clever.
The question was "Lincoln had a childhood trauma ..."
I thought it related to the drowning and said Austin Gollaher saved him.
"... when he was kicked by a horse and in later life took what to treat his headaches?"

“The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that” Robert Burns
01-25-2020, 02:35 PM
(01-25-2020 06:42 AM)AussieMick Wrote:  I was also thinking of the time that he was saved from drowning, but that doesnt really have a building associated. I knew it had to be very old and probably linked to his childhood.... where else could it be ( well, I couldnt think of anywhere else).
Plus it has uncomfortable associations for me ... I was on a TV quiz programme here answering questions about Lincoln ... and I got the answer wrong by jumping in too quickly , thinking I was clever.
The question was "Lincoln had a childhood trauma ..."
I thought it related to the drowning and said Austin Gollaher saved him.
"... when he was kicked by a horse and in later life took what to treat his headaches?"

Your experience is a good lesson for everyone. Thanks for sharing.
Kudos to getting the trivia question. When I looked at the drawing I thought the style of the house was too modern to be from Lincoln's childhood.
04-25-2020, 03:41 PM
Abraham Lincoln slept in this bed. Where is it located?

[Image: Untitled90.jpg]
04-25-2020, 11:57 PM
Gettysburg?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
04-26-2020, 05:08 AM
Excellent, Joe! That is the bedroom in the David Wills house in Gettysburg where Abraham Lincoln slept the night before he gave his famous address.

[Image: willshouse-gett.jpg?maxwidth=650&amp...tate=false]
The David Wills house
10-17-2020, 09:59 AM
People often wonder if Abraham Lincoln ever visited their town or city. A city in Wisconsin has 3 separate stories of Lincoln visiting it. All 3 stories are proven to be myths, but they seem to endure anyway. What city in Wisconsin has 3 untruthful stories of visits by Lincoln?
10-17-2020, 01:46 PM
I'm guessing. I only know of one story claiming Lincoln went to a town near Milwaukee after Ann Rutledge died. Can't remember the name.
10-17-2020, 01:54 PM
Good guess, Anita, but it's not Milwaukee.
10-17-2020, 02:23 PM
It seems like I remember something about him going into Wisconsin during the Black Hawk War, but I don't remember if he actually visited a city.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg