Lincoln Slept Here
04-14-2016, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2016 08:23 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln Slept Here
I was happy to find "Lincoln Slept Here" in the mail today - I LOVE it!!! Great photos - and this is really something (i.e. there's a lot of) new to learn and discover!!! The Lincoln ancestors and family relations have always confused me to some extent, just from skimming I know this book will clarify a lot, also due the many unique photos and illustrations - I am a great fan of illustration and find such very helpful!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2016, 02:59 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2016 03:06 AM by Ed Steers.)
A lttle discouraged. I have received no comments about the book, "Lincoln Slept Here." Sold only 5 copies. The initial response was encouraging, but little follow up. Question is whether we should continue on with the next several series or drop the project entirely? The next series includes "The Birthplace, The Cabin, Fact or Fiction, The Boyhood Home. Knob Creek, and Nancy Hanks.

Concerning Thomas Lincoln's portrait, I have a discussion about the authenticity of the image in series two of Lincoln Slept Here. As to Sarah Bush Johnston, there is an excellent photograph of her now in the possession of the Decater, Illinois Historical Society. It was discovered a few years ago in there collection. This is an actual, unretouched photograph. A full page portrait will appear in series two or series three of Lincoln Slept Here.
04-22-2016, 06:53 AM
Dr. Steers: I just posted my Amazon review- before I even got out of bed! Don't be discouraged- your books and works are great.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-22-2016, 07:55 AM
I 100% second Bill!!! I've never "understood" Lincoln's ancestors (too many Mordecais...) and their way to Kentucky as well as with the help of this book and its illustrations. Makes the "story" and protagonists very clear. And it's impressive to what they made it. I'm not good at writing reviews and have never dared on Amazon but will try.
Here's Bill's so far (and the link to order...):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1523237945...slept+here
04-26-2016, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2016 07:59 PM by Gene C.)
"At the time (1848) he was exchanging letters with his genealogical cousins (on his father's side of the family), there were 29 Abrahams, 19 Mordecais and 36 Thomas' within the Lincoln families of New England , Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Kentucky."

Lincoln - A Pictorial History by Edward Steers Jr.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-26-2016, 08:20 PM
Sorry, but I don't follow. What am I missing?
04-26-2016, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2016 07:18 AM by Gene C.)
Ed,

Sorry for not being clearer.
Just agreeing with Eva - "I've never "understood" Lincoln's ancestors (too many Mordecais...)"

I was just quoting from your other book, (which I recently purchased based upon a recommendation from Joe DiCola).
I've just started reading it, and it is very nicely illustrated
http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Pictorial-...al+history

I had no idea, and thought it very interesting that Abraham had so many cousins sharing the same first name of Abraham, Thomas or Mordecai.

04-27-2016, 05:05 AM
I love that book and have had it for as long as I can remember. The first two Ed Steers' books I acquired were that one and "The Escape and Capture of John Wilkes Booth."
04-27-2016, 06:24 AM
It seems that renaming those in the family line was a common occurrence for our ancestors- maybe it was a "southern thing" - not sure. My Tennessee ancestors kept the names Isaac and Jacob going and going- making it confusing for genealogy purposes.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-04-2016, 12:30 PM
It's a wonderful book that explains all the curlicues of the Lincoln family and debunks some myths. The photos are amazing. It's a treat to be able to see places the average Lincoln lover will never have the time or means to visit.
09-04-2016, 06:24 PM
(09-04-2016 12:30 PM)Lincoln Wonk Wrote:  It's a wonderful book that explains all the curlicues of the Lincoln family and debunks some myths. The photos are amazing. It's a treat to be able to see places the average Lincoln lover will never have the time or means to visit.

If you like "Lincoln Slept Here" vol 1, I think you will love vol 2. It covers more and has photos of places no longer available to the public. I made my travels back in the 80s and 90s when sites were still available.
09-04-2016, 06:38 PM
(09-04-2016 06:24 PM)Ed Steers Wrote:  
(09-04-2016 12:30 PM)Lincoln Wonk Wrote:  It's a wonderful book that explains all the curlicues of the Lincoln family and debunks some myths. The photos are amazing. It's a treat to be able to see places the average Lincoln lover will never have the time or means to visit.

If you like "Lincoln Slept Here" vol 1, I think you will love vol 2. It covers more and has photos of places no longer available to the public. I made my travels back in the 80s and 90s when sites were still available.

The original research and photographs add so much.
04-17-2017, 09:50 AM
The second in the "Lincoln Slept Here" series has been released!

[Image: lincolnslepthere10.jpg]

https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Slept-Her...ZCRWVW1TDW
04-17-2017, 10:32 AM
(04-22-2016 02:59 AM)Ed Steers Wrote:  Concerning Thomas Lincoln's portrait, I have a discussion about the authenticity of the image in series two of Lincoln Slept Here. As to Sarah Bush Johnston, there is an excellent photograph of her now in the possession of the Decater, Illinois Historical Society. It was discovered a few years ago in there collection. This is an actual, unretouched photograph. A full page portrait will appear in series two or series three of Lincoln Slept Here.

Ed, did this make it into your new book?
Have added this new one to my wish list.