Beginning April 15 the ALPLM will have a new exhibit of Lincoln artifacts
03-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Beginning April 15 the ALPLM will have a new exhibit of Lincoln artifacts
A new exhibit opening April 15 at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum will give visitors intimate glimpses into Lincoln’s family, career, finances and presidency.

The “Unfinished Work” exhibit features documents and artifacts from the immense Taper collection. Among them:

• A promissory note in which Lincoln promised to pay $379.82, an amount he called “my national debt.”
• His patent for a mechanism to get stranded riverboats off of obstructions. No other U.S. president has held a patent.
• His beloved stepmother’s “X” signature on a receipt.
• A gorgeously illustrated copy of the Emancipation Proclamation.
• A ticket to his funeral at the White House.

http://kwqc.com/2016/03/29/abraham-linco...-april-15/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2016, 04:37 AM
RE: Beginning April 15 the ALPLM will have a new exhibit of Lincoln artifacts
I enjoyed "Undying Words" a lot and am sure this one will be really nice as well. Sooo tempting...
03-31-2016, 08:06 AM
Re.: "• A gorgeously illustrated copy of the Emancipation Proclamation" - the most gorgeously illustrated and fascinating one to me was (is?) on display at Ford's:

The "Emancipation Proclamation For German-Americans", drawn and translated by W.H. Pratt, lithograph by A. Hageböck, both of Davenport, Iowa, 1865, from afar shows a portrait of the bust of Abraham Lincoln.
03-31-2016, 08:57 AM
This is exciting! Hopefully I can make the Springfield trip this year to see the additions.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-31-2016, 10:37 AM
I'm disappointed that the exhibit is only going to last one month. I'm planning on visiting Springfield this summer but the exhibit will be long gone by then. How is it cost effective/worth it to curate and advertise for an exhibit that will only last a month at the very beginning of tourist season?
03-31-2016, 11:39 AM
(03-31-2016 10:37 AM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  I'm disappointed that the exhibit is only going to last one month. I'm planning on visiting Springfield this summer but the exhibit will be long gone by then. How is it cost effective/worth it to curate and advertise for an exhibit that will only last a month at the very beginning of tourist season?

Excellent point, Dave. In the case of small museums, exhibits are often possible only because gracious private owners loan their items for it, but don't want them displayed for long periods of time (3 months or longer). In the case of museums such as ALPLM, however, their exhibits usually come from items that they already own (such as the Taper Collection from which this one is drawn).
03-31-2016, 11:40 AM
Oh, I didn't notice that. One month? What a shame.

Bill Nash
03-31-2016, 10:42 PM
When I heard about it, I thought "Summer road trip!", but then I saw it wasn't going to be there in the summer. Dave, I do agree with you completely about the exhibit not being longer. At the museums I've worked or volunteered at, we've always kept the exhibits up for at least three months so I was really surprised to see it was only going to be on for a month! One of the reasons was because of all the work it takes to get an exhibit together.

Still, it sounds like it will be a wonderful exhibit! Who knows...maybe I'll be able to take a trip there during the month it is on display.
04-01-2016, 04:56 AM
(03-31-2016 10:42 PM)Miss_Bellatrix Wrote:  When I heard about it, I thought "Summer road trip!", but then I saw it wasn't going to be there in the summer. Dave, I do agree with you completely about the exhibit not being longer. At the museums I've worked or volunteered at, we've always kept the exhibits up for at least three months so I was really surprised to see it was only going to be on for a month! One of the reasons was because of all the work it takes to get an exhibit together.

Still, it sounds like it will be a wonderful exhibit! Who knows...maybe I'll be able to take a trip there during the month it is on display.

Miss Bellatrix, welcome to the forum. We are pleased to have another Canadian as a member! Although the ALPLM's exhibit will not be there in the fall, there is a group from the forum that tours Springfield each year. There is a thread about this annual trip here. The group is planning on doing it again in 2016. I know they would love to have you (plus any family members) come!
04-01-2016, 08:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2016 10:01 AM by Gene C.)
Yes, you will find it's a unique experience. You get to meet people you only have known over the internet, at a motel lobby in a out of town location. All the things your parents told you never to do! Rolleyes

In the next few weeks I will post some updates on our plans for the tour, which is Friday & Sat., Sept 30- Oct 1. If you go to the thread Roger mentioned, you will note that we go to a lot of interesting places, learn new things, and just have a lot of fun being together. A small, informal group. We wish more people would take advantage of joining us. If anyone has any questions, just send me a message.
Thanks for mentioning it, Roger.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
04-01-2016, 02:49 PM
(04-01-2016 08:32 AM)Gene C Wrote:  Yes, you will find it's a unique experience. You get to meet people you only have known over the internet, at a motel lobby in a out of town location. All the things your parents told you never to do! Rolleyes

Sounds like my type of thing Wink

Thanks, Gene & Roger! I just posted over in the thread about the trip. If the Canadian dollar strengthens, I'd love to join you. Right now, travelling to the US is kinda pricey. But this sounds like it will be an awesome experience!