Your best of 2015?
01-14-2016, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2016 03:46 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Your best of 2015?
A little late, but - what was your favorite read - new or old - in 2015?

As always a difficult decision as one reads quite a lot. Probably a good criterium is which of these quite several instantly pop up in the mind.

In mine does Abe & Fido, lovingly written, the description of Fido's assassination" brought tears to my eyes.

Betty's "Alias Paine" - well written, not any "exhausting", and lots of unique new (to me) info.

"Decapitiation of the Union" as so thoroughly ...., many interesting topics and questions, and at times provocative conclusions. On some I agree, on some not, quite some interesting points/ideas were new, but all is well-argued and researched ....

Finally I found Weichmann's book an interesting read and amazing compilation (well, and then there was the Fanny Steward bio...I'll stop here. Your turn!)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2016, 04:03 PM
RE: Your best of 2015?
Steve Berry, The Lincoln Myth--a different look at what Lincoln really did in fighting the Civil, i.e., creating the modern Union for the first time., rather than preserving the old pre-war Union.
01-14-2016, 05:08 PM
(01-14-2016 03:44 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  new or old

During 2015 I re-read a book from 1987. It was A. Lincoln: His Last 24 Hours. I think author W. Emerson Reck really did a good job on that book. I am not sure the book gets the credit it deserves IMO.
01-14-2016, 05:55 PM
Absolutely one of my all-time favorites, Roger!!! It's just a must-have IMO!!! And, as I feared to happen, I forgot one of, if not the very best in 2015 - Kathy Canavan’s book. So readable and yet informative, and really something new!!!
01-14-2016, 08:39 PM
I really enjoyed Kathy's book, as well as Terry Alford's. American Queen, the new bio of Kate Chase Sprague (too lazy to look up the author) was excellent too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-14-2016, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2016 09:56 PM by L Verge.)
The Kate Chase Sprague bio and the bio on Fanny Seward were both excellent books, in my opinion. However, Kathy's book was definitely my favorite. All of these taught me a great deal in a pleasant and inviting manner that did not require me having to guess or question my way through the pages.
01-14-2016, 11:14 PM
My favorites
Young Abraham Lincoln - the teenage years, by Fred Conway
Lincoln's Herndon, by David Donald
The Soul of Abe Lincoln, by Bernie Babcock

Non Lincoln Books
Man's Search for Meaning, by Viktor Frankel
The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster
Eddie Rickenbacker, by David Lewis

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
01-14-2016, 11:32 PM
Our Man in Charleston by Christopher Dickey. Story of British consul Robert Bunch in Charleston at the brink of the civil war. Well written account of his relationships between diplomats, journalists, senators, and spies while sending intelligence to the British government in London that economic survival would force the South to import slaves from Africa in massive numbers. Highly recommend it.
01-15-2016, 01:45 AM
I really neglected my Lincoln reading in 2015. I still have books purchased at the March conference I haven't got to yet. I did read Terry Alford's Fortune's Fool and loved it.
01-15-2016, 01:53 AM
Clouds of Glory:The Life and Legend of Robert E Lee by Michael Korda

Napoleon:A Life by Andrew Roberts

The latter is excellent despite the author's excessive enthusiasm for his subject.

It is fascinating how Napoleon influenced Lee's generalship but Napoleon's megalomania was totally opposite to Lee's self abnegation.

Anyone reading any of the many books by Korda or Roberts will be very happy.
Tom
01-15-2016, 09:09 AM
Betty Ownsbey's second edition of Alias Paine is written as richly as a movie script, and it's filled with original research on a fascinating multi-faceted conspirators others have ignored. It's worth buying just for the appendices.
01-15-2016, 12:20 PM
My best Lincoln Reads:
The Day Lincoln Was Shot by Jim Bishop
Fortunes Fool by Terry Alford
The Lincoln Assassination arc in Flashbacks by Patrick Reynolds

My best non Lincoln reads:
Killing Reagan by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Duggard
My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers
The Day Kennedy Was Shot by Jim Bishop

PS: The Truth Is Still Out There!

Thomas Kearney, Professional Photobomber.
01-15-2016, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2016 07:22 PM by BettyO.)
Loved Kathy's book, Lincoln's Final Hours and the Fanny Seward bio. As far as novels go, MacKinlay Kantor's Long Remember - a 1934 novel about Gettysburg civilians which is absolutely wonderful! Don't read much fiction, but this one is remarkably good; detail wise and history wise.....Kantor is best known for his Pulitzer winning Andersonville.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
01-18-2016, 06:55 PM
I agree with Roger and Eva that “A. Lincoln, His Last 24 Hours” by W. Emerson Reck is much underrated and a must have. It is so full of important and sometimes overlooked details. I’m due a re-read of that one.

However, one of my “re-reads” for this year was Margaret Leech’s, “Reveille in Washington.” It remains one of my favorites. Like everyone, I wish she had cited her sources, but this Pulitzer Prize winner is a wonderful book.

My new reads this year were Jane Singer’s book, “Lincoln’s Secret Spy” and Kathy Canavan’s, “Lincoln’s Final Hours.”

Singer’s book may be an unusual topic, but it is very interesting and well researched. In my opinion, it is worth reading. An interesting interview with Jane is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laIsBVYqD1Q .

Kathy Canavan’s book is also very well researched and documented. It is an easy read even though it is full of details. I really enjoyed it and, again, would recommend it.

Bob
01-18-2016, 08:08 PM
My favorite book was Not "Dark Union". On the strictly new side, Kathy Canavan's "Lincoln's Final Hours" and Terry Alford's "Fortunes Fool". On the re-issue or 2nd Edition side, Betty Ownsbey's "Alias Paine.

Three great people, and may I say...........friends, and three great reads.